cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Policy - Windows 2000/2003/2008 & SYSTEM_STATE, need some advices

Yair
Level 4

Hi all,

it's my first post here, hopefully you could help me with a little question i have.

We recently upgraded our NB from 6.5.4 to 7 (Master and Media server are the same server, O/S is 2003 64x).

Now,

I have a policy that consists all of our Windows servers.

Basically, it's all of our 76 windows servers (a mix of 2000, 2003, 2008) in 1 policy

my question is regarding SYSTEM_STATE in a mixed O/S policy like i have.

right now it backs up ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, but i guess that's not good for windows 2000/2008?

Would appreciate an explanation regarding SYSTEM_STATE and a mixed policy, cause i couldn't exactly find an answer to this question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive includes System_State but applies to Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003 machines only. 

You can use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES for mixed clients in 1 policy. NetBackup will correctly do System_state and Shadow_copy respectively.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

Yair,

It is recommended to use Shadow Copy Components:\ directive for Windows 2003 & 2008 and System_State:\ directive for windows 2000.

you can use System_State:\ directive for windows 2003 but You will not be able to successfully recover a Windows 2003 server with only the System_State backup.

The best practice when combining Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 clients in the same Policy is to use the System_State:\ or ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive.  It is redundant to include ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and/or System_State:\ and/or Shadow Copy Components:\.

Please Note:  As a best practice guideline, VERITAS recommends one setting and not two or three in any combination.

Regards,

Taqadus

Yair
Level 4

Alright, so if i have ONLY "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" marked to backup on this policy, there won't be any issues on all O/S versions backups? do i understand you correctly? it will backup the system state + all local drives on 2000/2003/2008 without resulting incomplete backups? (for example win 2000 system with no system_state)

Thanks!

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive includes System_State but applies to Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003 machines only. 

You can use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES for mixed clients in 1 policy. NetBackup will correctly do System_state and Shadow_copy respectively.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES would be the way to go. It will carry out either the SS or SCC backup - whichever is most appropriate to the O/S.

Additionally, if you check on the directives drop down lists within a policy you can see which ones can be used for which OS.

A slightly out-of-date T/N:

DOCUMENTATION: Differences between the directives System_State:\ and Shadow Copy Components:\

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275931.htm

(Can't remember if this is covered in any of the Admin Guides - haven't got access at the moment - if it does it will be a little more up-to-date!)

Yair
Level 4

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me Taqadus & Andy!

You've been very helpful.

If any more questions arise i will not hesitate to use this forum again.

Take care.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

We'll try & assist to the best of our ability with any more queries - until then! 

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

no problem man....This forum is great due to "Andy", "Stumper" and "Marianne".....I am still a learner...