cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10-20 backups of same policy in one day....

The_Director
Level 5
Certified
over the weekend it looks like each policy ran 10-20 times in the same day.... Luckily they were difs and didnt eat up all my storage.

we have two environments windows and unix both on separate netbackup domains and they both had the problem.

has anyone else seen this?

Linux Master and Media servers 6.0 mp3

Windows Master/Media 6.0 mp4

If all else fails blame DST
8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6
check the frequency....someone may have accidently changed the
1 per day to
1 per hour

The_Director
Level 5
Certified
They are all calendar based. And yes the backup window spans across midnight....but I have been doing it this way since I started using 6.0 and never had a problem.

I always had problems with frequency based policies when using 5.1 and calendar has been golden for me. Why would it all of a sudden change......aside from DST.

Some of the jobs were started at 8pm on Saturday and finished 10 minutes later but then ran again over and over until 12:XX am. Then they stopped.

I guess i am answering my own question It just seems odd that it would just start this weekend.

Glen_Harrison
Level 4
we are seeing this as well on 3 different masters first noticed it on Saturday March 10th

1 hp-ux 6.0MP4 master nad two windows 2003 6.0MP4 masters

We have no policies that run across midnight, on our main master it affect about 30 out of 160 policies. Backups complete and then run again about 10 minutes later, this pattern continues until the window ends.

The_Director
Level 5
Certified
The 10th is when ours started as well.

Im telling you it must be Daylight Savings Time

Glen_Harrison
Level 4
We restarted our masters and things seem to have settled down. Is this still and issue for you Mark?

The_Director
Level 5
Certified
We didn't restart our servers and let everything run again last night to see if it would do it again......

........and it did it all over again. So I am going to put a call into Symantec today even though they are going to tell me to upgrade to mp4. I might have my Windows admin call since he is at mp4 on his systems and he had the same thing happen.This time it only happened on policys with a start window of midnight.

Fred2010
Level 6
Did you guys try and disable 'checkpoint restart' on the policies?

I have noticed that backing up Windows 2000 servers with checkpoint restart enabled shows this very problem

I also recall I had to disable 'Windows open file backup' for the problem servers in the client attributes (On the master server)

Also, I'm in europe, so the DST thingy is no problem for me.

Give it a try, it solved my problems :)

Dan_Lynch
Level 3
Last Saturday/Sunday I had the problems repeatedly only on one schedule type, our weekly fulls, on several different policies. This weekend I had the problem only on our exchange server policy, starting at 12 midnight. The daily policy is the same, only different in name and calendar schedule - 1st through 4th sat/sun.

Please keep us updated if you find out anything new, this issue ate up my tape drives at inopportune times this weekend for sure.