cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 questions on Netbackup BMR

Frenchy_Big_Blu
Level 3

Hello,

We are implementing Netbackup at a customer and are evaluating the opportunity to implement BMR. I looked at the specs and data sheets but didn't find the answers:

1) Does netbackup BMR support officially boot on san configurations?

2) I understand it needs a boot server and a BMR server. Can these modules be installed on the main netbackup server? Or do they need really dedicated servers? Or at least the 2 together on a separate server?

3) if installed on a separate server, I suppose we can do a BMR of the netbackup media server itself?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

AmolV
Level 5

>>1) Does netbackup BMR support officially boot on san configurations?

I think it does so for Solaris.

>>2) I understand it needs a boot server and a BMR server. Can these modules be installed on the main >>netbackup server?

Yes and no.

I mean, the BMR Master server can (and must) go on the NBU Master server.

The BMR Boot Server too *can* (and not *must*) go on the NBU master server, but it will only support SRTs of the platform/OS that the NBU Master server is running on (or OS versions that are supported by BMR and that are lower than that of the machine where NBU Master server is running. i.e. a BMR Boot server on a RHEL4 box will support SRTs of RHEL3 but not that of Solaris or windows)

>>Or do they need really dedicated servers? Or at least the 2 together on a separate server?

From above I guess you can conclude that the Boot server would have to be atleast 1 per required platform where as only 1 BMR Master server is needed. I hope I have worded this clearly, let me know if you want more info.

>>3) if installed on a separate server, I suppose we can do a BMR of the netbackup media server itself?

I dont know much about this. Will update the thread if I find anything.

BTW, which NBU version do you intend to use for this?

HTH.

patrickkuah
Level 6

You can restore Media server via BMR. What you need to do is to assign another media server to handle the restore request. You can configure the MEdia Server Override in Host Properties > Master Server

regards,

patrickkuah

Frenchy_Big_Blu
Level 3

Hello,

Thanks for the answers. It's a new backup project so we'll use the latest version, 6.5.3 I think. We'ell also use the SAP/Oracle agent.