cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3PAR VSS backup with Netbackup

posie80
Level 4

Hi all,

We recently got ourselves the new 3PAR T-series storage array and we are using now on our backup clients (Microsoft Exchange servers running Windows 2008).

My question is : anybody here ever use the 3PAR VSS provider solutions to perform the backups? Does it work similar to Windows VSS?

Also, do we need to apply anything to Netbackup in order for it to be able to use the 3PAR VSS backups, or do we configure it the same way as any other VSS config  (as in, from the master server GUI, open the Host Properties>Master Server> Client Attributes, then add the client we wish to use VSS, then select Open File Backup Tab and change to VSS)?

Appreciate the feedbacks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is an open policy in place for VSS. So if a HW vendor states they support VSS with their array then NBU should be able to back up through VSS using normal file backup. There are always exceptions and restrictions though, and that is where the snapshot compatibility list is useful. So re-confirmation with vendor, or better, test in NBU with client and the VSS provider before proceeding with the rollout.

/A

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I haven't worked with 3PAR, so I can't help there, but I would assume it works as all other hardware VSS providers.

In NetBackup you will need to configure the policy to use snapshots and then select VSS as the method, but select HW provider as the provider. Default is system (Microsoft). This way NBU will call VSS and Windows will use the registered HW provider.

You will probably have to set up the 3PAR system to allow for snapshots for the volume you are backing up. I have this working with HP EVA hardware VSS provider, and it required set up in the BusinessCopy setup (or whatever it is called today).

/A

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

First check if hardware-based VSS provided for 3PAR arrays is supported by NetBackup. if so, install it on your client(s) and check whether OS sees it.

vssadmin list providers 

should give you info on 3par VSS provider.

The key thing is to setup VSS attributes properly.

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is an open policy in place for VSS. So if a HW vendor states they support VSS with their array then NBU should be able to back up through VSS using normal file backup. There are always exceptions and restrictions though, and that is where the snapshot compatibility list is useful. So re-confirmation with vendor, or better, test in NBU with client and the VSS provider before proceeding with the rollout.

/A