Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.5.3 - granular backup - cluster of exchange

Stev
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hello,

I've got two Exchange Servers (2003 sp2) in cluster (active/active). I created a policy where I backup Microsoft Information Store (with Document Restore = granular backup) on the both servers ( before I installed nfs services for windows and configured properly security permission (changed the netbackup client account, delegate role in exchange etc.) Unfortunately the backup is succesful only for one node (one exchange server) and than i can restore messages but on the second node - granular backup doesn't work and i can find in log (in attachment). What happens? Is it a bug in Netbackup? please help!

6 REPLIES 6

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
what do you mean by active active? two different clustered servers from 2 nodes or 1 cluster server from 2 nodes; if you have 1 cluster server from 2 nodes which is like load balancing; you need to perform backup using cluster name and also you would require application level backup licence for each node.

Stev
Level 3
Partner Accredited
thanks for reply, active/active means... both servers have got a own virtual names, such server1v (phisical name is server1) and the second is server2v (phisical server2). Cluster name is virtexch. I've created a backup using a virtual names of server (I choose a virtual names of server and Microsoft Information Store in backup selection). I use phisical name only to backup windows system file (Windows-NT Policy). Have you check a logs file? Do you think that error happens because i don't have a application backup licence? (I've got a licence for 3 Database Agent)

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
try to backup the servers with below configuration

create policy with policy type MS-Exchange-Server, enable multi-streaming, document restore. add the cluster server names in client tab i.e server1v, server2v, add Microsoft Information Store \* in backup selection and do manual backup.

let me know the results.

Stev
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I did as you wrote and it didn't help at the beginning. After some time, the second node is backuped ok but i can't restore an individual mailboxes/message etc because I receive an error 13: filed read files. I can view all mailboxes on the master server but i can't restore it. So it's something more than earlier when i couldn't backup (granular) my the second node. Any clue?

regards

Stev

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

now it has got something to do with restores, it should be slight manual error;; recheck everything and let me know.
go through this

http://support.veritas.com/docs/305408
http://support.veritas.com/docs/316982

Stev
Level 3
Partner Accredited
i've checked again and unfortunately still i can' restore an individual messages etc on the one node :(