cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.5.4 Restore Uses Wrong Media Server

chrisa72
Level 4
I'm running a HP-UX master/media server running NBU 6.5.4. As part of a migration process I want to have a separate media server, this is a W2K3 box also running NBU 6.5.4.
I have a number of virtual libraries/drives on a VTL and also a physical library. The new media server is now connected to the physical library and all backups using physical library storage units run fine.

I'm trying to run a restore that was backed up a few months ago, before the new media server existed but for some reason it's trying to restore through the new media server. At the time of the backup the media server was the current master/media server. Because the new media server is not connected to the library/drives required the restore keeps failing.
I've added entries in media host override just in case but this hasn't made any difference, entries in bp.conf as follows:

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = oldmaster currentmastermedia
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = oldmedia new media
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = newmedia currentmastermedia
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = currentmastermedia currentmastermedia

Is there some other way I can force the restore job to use the correct media server?
5 REPLIES 5

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you restarted the daemons after change of bp.conf? at least bprdreq -rereadconfig?

chrisa72
Level 4
I'd done a bp.kill_all followed by a bp.start_all but just to be safe I just ran the bprdreq -rereadconfig as well.
I'm hitting the same issue.
I also just changed the storage unit used by the policy for this backup/restore to specifically use the master/media rather than any available media server but still no joy....

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
your Force lines make it seem all twisted up..

so first
find out which server 'owns' the tape.

in the GUI /media find the tape, look at the column for Media Owner.

now take out all but one of the FORCE lines and change that one to be

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER <server that currently owns the tape> <server you want to do the restore>

and try it again.

chrisa72
Level 4
Unfortunately that's a little more complicated too as the restore is to a NetApp filer NDMP host. The tapes are owned by the filer in question and the drives connected to the filer have the master/media server as their device host.
I've now changed the bp.conf entries as follows and restarted the services:
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = oldmaster curenntmastermedia
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = oldmedia newmedia
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = newmedia currentmastermedia

I even deactivated the new media server in Devices => Media Servers and reran the restore, but the effect was the same. Just to confirm there are no tapes in the library with the new media server as Media owner.

Will_Restore
Level 6
So you want to restore using the old media server?
If so, remove all those lines & try the restore.