cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A client backup ends with status code 50 - client process aborted

RDesai
Level 3

I recently upgraded NetBackup to 7.5.0.1 on Windows 2003 SE server and almost all clients to 7.5. All clients are having no problem in finishing backup but 1 client keeps giving status code 50. When I had upgraded directly from 7.1 to 7.5, and it did not work (i.e. gave me status code 50), I uninstalled client and reinstalled 7.5 client but it made no difference. One tech note says to compare the bpcd, bpbkar32, bpinetd and tar32.exe. It is an XP desktop. Any idea? Thanks in advance for your help!

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The logs that you need are :

bpcd: this will log connection

bpbkar: (note folder name is bpbkar although the backup process is bpbkar32.exe) this will log actual backup process.

PS: have you tried to 'downgrade' client back to 7.1?

RDesai
Level 3

Thanks for the update. I already had collected bpbkar log which indicated the error code 69 (details showsn as:

Error bpbrm (pid=2220) from client <clientname>: ERR - Unable to backup System State or Shadow Copy. Please check the state of VSS and associated Writers. INF - EXIT STATUS 69: invalid filelist specification.

This error was after my second test with just "System State:\" as directive (as such while choosing directives, it displayed only Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 and no XP), although I have a couple of XP boxes - one 64 bit and one 32 bit. Wonder if NBU 7.5 version dropped support for XP!.Did it?

My all VSS writers are showing Stable..but no change in behaviour..so still stuck. Ihave opened SR with Symantec support with Critical = 2 but havn't heard back yet..  

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Windows XP on IA64 is no longer supported. 32-bit and x64 still supported.

See NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,Dedupe,OpsCenter,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

What happens if you just backup ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES?

Lee_C
Level 5

Hello RDesai,

Following our upgrade from 7.1.0.3 to 7.5.0.4 we have the same issue

Did you get an answer from Support about this?

When backing up the Shadow copy components, we have "Unable to backup System State or Shadow Copy. Please check the state of VSS and associated Writers.INF - EXIT STATUS 69: invalid filelist specification"

and
"client process aborted(50)"

Listing the vss writers show they are stable with no errors.

sabby
Level 4
Certified

Hi RDesai,

Since the VSS writers are all stable, check that "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" service is not disabled(its startup type hould be "Manual"). Also run the command: "vssadmin list providers" and check if a third party provider is installed or not. If it is installed make sure its not set to the first priority.

NBU uses the operating system's MS Software Shadow Copy Provider to create intime shadow copies.

If the VSS and MS Software Shadow Copy Provider services startup type are set to Manual and the command returns shadow copy provider i.e MS Software Shadow Copy Provider as the first priority, then try and take system state backup from Windows Backup Utility i.e NTBackup (type ntbackup in run and enter).

If the NTBackup completes successfully, then the issue lies with the application i.e Netbackup.

First we have to make sure that the OS is able to backup the system state, if the OS isn't able to backup then there's no chance NetBackup would back the system state.

Let us know the result of NTBackup.

Thanks