cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIR replication

Bmitche
Level 5

I have recenly started testing AIR(auto image replication). It is working better than I had hoped. I am doing VMDK level backups to my MSDP in one site and AIR replicating those images to another site across the country. The one small problem I am having is our network folks are yelling at me for using the ENTIRE wan connection. We have a fairly large pipe and my replications seem to be using the whole thing. Yeah for me, not so good for them. Is there anyway besides limiting the # of backups I run...then waiting for the replication to finish....then backup some more...etc. I know with my vmware backups I can set resource limits on how many of this or that can happen at one time. I found in the bandwidth section on master server properties I can set bandwidth limits from and to hosts....would I set this limit between the 2 MSDP media servers or between the 2 different master servers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check if Lifecycle parameters helps you

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO68315

Also check for Bandwidth Throttling between these two host (MSDP AIR)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

thesanman
Level 6

Does reducing the destination Disk Pool I/O streams make any difference (on the remote Master Server)?  I must admit I haven't tried this because I've only been trying this in my QA environment which has limited backups runnig in it.

I have been looking at this and found the bandwidth utilisation really low once the remote MSDP unit has been seeded with the initial backups.  It was one of the things I was considering if I was going to head down this route.

Bmitche
Level 5

Reducing the I/O streams on the destination does not affect replication.

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Tell your network team to enable QoS on the WAN pipe for Netbackup set to something like Best effort, and continue as normal, if the bandwidth is there NBU will use it. If someone else with a higher priority needs it NBU will get throttled back. Then you can make adjustments to your backup schedules so that your not getting a backlog while the replications are happening.

With luck since AIR is Opt-dupe it shouldnt take to long to replicate all your data the more you do the process.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check if Lifecycle parameters helps you

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO68315

Also check for Bandwidth Throttling between these two host (MSDP AIR)

Bmitche
Level 5

Thanks speedfreak....looks like "MAX_IMAGES_PER_SNAPSHOT_REPLICATION_JOB" should do the trick.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

kudos... you got it working. though this touch file does not exist by default (which indeed sounds secret within NBU - i hate it most and love it most)... it's tuning parameters helps alot  but to play with so many parameters also confuses alot ...