cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About log files in Netbackup server.

to2czngin
Level 2

Hi all, I wish you can help explain my doubts about netbackup log files in master server.

1. When I try to start and stop master server/client, which log can I check for its status?

2. When I executing a job, which log file can I check its progress?

3. If I want to check the status of master and client, which log file can I check?

I know all these status can be found on console, but the customer asked us these questions.

So please help me if you know them. Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Please take a look at the attachment. Its a visual representation of the backup process flow and all the relevant processes that run on each component, master, media, and client. The process names all have there own log folders. You have to create the folder name for the process in the following folder on your netbackup installation  (/usr/openv/netbackup/logs or C:\program files\veritas\netbackup\logs). The folders in here cover all the legacy netbackup logs, bpcd, bprd, bpbrm, etc. Newer, unified logs can be extracted with vxlogview. You can check the troubleshooting guide available on the support site for more information on logging and the processes.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

When I try to start and stop master server/client, which log can I check for its status?

- Do you mean "starting and stopping the services" ?

When I executing a job, which log file can I check its progress?

- When a Backup job is started there are so many process executing the job (find attachment), you may check thier logs to  know whats happening.

If I want to check the status of master and client, which log file can I check?

- Again, check the status of what? Service,Media, Drive, resource allocations..etc...

Need more inputs on what you are specifically looking for.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Please take a look at the attachment. Its a visual representation of the backup process flow and all the relevant processes that run on each component, master, media, and client. The process names all have there own log folders. You have to create the folder name for the process in the following folder on your netbackup installation  (/usr/openv/netbackup/logs or C:\program files\veritas\netbackup\logs). The folders in here cover all the legacy netbackup logs, bpcd, bprd, bpbrm, etc. Newer, unified logs can be extracted with vxlogview. You can check the troubleshooting guide available on the support site for more information on logging and the processes.

to2czngin
Level 2

Thank you very much.

When I try to start and stop master server/client, which log can I check for its status?

- Do you mean "starting and stopping the services" ?

- to2czngin@gmail.com:  Yes, for example, when I use /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bp.start_all starting master server, which log files can I check for the progress and status.

When I executing a job, which log file can I check its progress?

- When a Backup job is started there are so many process executing the job (find attachment), you may check thier logs to  know whats happening.

- to2czngin@gmail.com:  Thank you very much.

If I want to check the status of master and client, which log file can I check?

- Again, check the status of what? Service,Media, Drive, resource allocations..etc...

- to2czngin@gmail.com:  Check the connection status between master server and client. : )

to2czngin
Level 2

Hi, thank you very much. I will learn it.

Thank you.

watsons
Level 6

1. When I try to start and stop master server/client, which log can I check for its status?

>> bp.start_all (or bp.kill_all) only applies to NBU server. The easiest way is to run "bpps -x" to look at what processes are running.

>> For master server, you can also look at /usr/openv/db/logs/server.log , but that is specific to starting & shutting down NBDB (NB database). 

>> Basically from many logs in /usr/openv/logs & /usr/openv/netbackup/logs, some processes will tell when it's started or shutdown, but normally we don't have to look into it unless really necessary.

2. When I executing a job, which log file can I check its progress?

>> Studying the flowchart by Riian will help with this, note that backup has different workflow from restore.

3. If I want to check the status of master and client, which log file can I check?

>> Not sure what you meant by this, status? Whether they're running? bpps -x will do.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

To test the connection between the master and client, In client create a folder named "bpcd" under <install_path>\NetBackup\Logs and in the master server run bptestbpcd command on path <install_path>\NetBackup\bin\admincmd

bptestbpcd -client {client_name} -verbose

or

bptestbpcd -client {client_name} -debug

These command output be logged in a log file under bpcd folder of the respective client.