cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating User Archive in NetBackup 6.5.1 for Windows?

MJTcolor
Level 2

Is this even possible?

We need to backup and then clear out the content in a folder on a CIFS share on a regular basis, but as far as I can tell, the only way to do this is to perform a User Archive, which is a manual process, or to perform a Backup and then manually clear out the files.

Is there any way to fully automate this rather than rely on manual control?

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. No way to automate it via the nbu scheduler. (described in detail in Admin Guide I)

You can use an external scheduler using bparchive to specify file selection.  You will still need a User Archive schedule in a policy for the client with an open window during which user archives are allowed.

bills
Level 5

Just work out the proper bparchive command, then set it as a scheduled task on the client.

MJTcolor
Level 2

Will I be able to archive CIFS shared folders?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It all depends on User permissions. The user running the archive needs to have the correct domain permissions on the files/folders that you need to be removed. If you can delete files/folders from Windows Explorer, the archive will work.

Create a dummy folder with some 'junk' files in it.

Create a bpbkar log dir (under netbackup\logs). Do a 'bparchive' for this folder. If you run this from cmd, please specify a log file (e.g. -L C:\Temp\archive.txt).

The log file and bpbkar log can be used for possible troubleshooting.

Andy_Benson
Level 2

I've automated a bparchive on a client from the master server. In your Archive policy create a backup schedule as a normal backup, this becomes a 'dummy'. Then on the client use the bpstart_notify with the policy and schedule just created. Within that bpstart_notify place the script to execute the bparchive command in the original Archive policy.

Works a treat when you get your head around it..! :)