Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awaiting Resources for restoration.

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi all,

We have configured a new Tape Library and moved a tape to check resoration from the same.

Throwing below error.

A pending request has been generated for this resource request.
          Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action,
          Media ID: XXXXXX, Barcode: XXXXXX, Density: hcart, Access Mode: Read,
          Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: N/A, Robot Type(Number): 0(N/A),
          Volume Group: 000_00001_TLD, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A

Added the new TL ( Robot,drive) to master server and configured the same. New TL Robot number is 1.

Please suggest.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am assuming that on this second site you have imported the tape (phase 1 and phase 2) and so it is now owned by one of the servers on the second site.

If that media server does not have access to the new tape library then you need to use the force restore media server option (easiest to add it in the Master Servers host properties)

If that media server does have access to the new tape library then I stick by what I said earlier in that it either sees it as a different tape when it is in the second tape library (due to barcode or media id generation changes) or the drives in the second library are wrong (they need to be hcart)

Show us some screen shots of what you see when the tape is in each library

View solution in original post

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

The issue is resolved.

---------------------------------------------------------

Issue Description:

Backup has been taken in Production location.The backup is taken in a media server ( say server1).

Since we are in Off location, we suppose to perfrom restoration to ensure the backup integrity.

We do have a different master server ( which act as a media server )through which will perfrom the restoration.

Intially we had 1 TL ( Robot number 0 ) and we have procured a another TL ( Robot number 1).

If i load the tape in TL1 ( Robot 0), the tape is accepted by the restoration job). In order to test the working of new TL.... I loaded the tape and checked the restoration..... It failed and awaited for resources.....

Same Media ID is ensured...

--------------------------------------------------------

Logged a case with symantec.

Solution:

They suggested to change the media type as hcart2.The mentioned the new TL accept the hcar2 density tape.It worked.

Thanks for all your suggestion.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The restore is looking for the tape to be in library zero

If a media server did the original backup then it would want to use that server to do the restore so you would need to override that or restore from a backup done by the same server

The other issue is if the new library displays the barcode differently or has a different media id geration rule in which case you tape could be considered as a different tape when in the new library - you need to get them both to match!

As an example, the same tape in two different libraries...

Library one sees ABC123L4 and gives the tape a media id of ABC123

Library two see ABC123 and gives the tape a media id of C123L4

hope this helps

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

Thanks for your reply........

Backup has been taken in Production location.The backup is taken in a media server ( say server1).

Since we are in Off location, we suppose to perfrom restoration to ensure the backup integrity.

We do have a different master server ( which act as a media server )through which will perfrom the restoration.

Intially we had 1 TL ( Robot number 0 ) and we have procured a another TL ( Robot number 1).

If i load the tape in TL1 ( Robot 0), the tape is accepted by the restoration job). In order to test the working of new TL.... I loaded the tape and checked the restoration..... It failed and awaited for resources.....

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You need to add to the bp.conf (if your master is UNIX or Linux):

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = <oldmedia server> <newmedia server>

If you have a Windows Master, follow this TN http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH28314

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

We have added the entry in bp.conf file..... becoz of that entry only it is performing restoration through old TL.....

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Do you mean it's trying to grab the tape from the old library?

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

No. The Tape is loaded in the new TL only and need to know why the tape is not used frm new TL...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I am assuming that on this second site you have imported the tape (phase 1 and phase 2) and so it is now owned by one of the servers on the second site.

If that media server does not have access to the new tape library then you need to use the force restore media server option (easiest to add it in the Master Servers host properties)

If that media server does have access to the new tape library then I stick by what I said earlier in that it either sees it as a different tape when it is in the second tape library (due to barcode or media id generation changes) or the drives in the second library are wrong (they need to be hcart)

Show us some screen shots of what you see when the tape is in each library

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

The issue is resolved.

---------------------------------------------------------

Issue Description:

--------------------------------------------------------

Logged a case with symantec.

Solution:

They suggested to change the media type as hcart2.The mentioned the new TL accept the hcar2 density tape.It worked.

Thanks for all your suggestion.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Not a great solutions really - the tape had been imported in your first library and was imported as hcart (shown clearly in the mount request)

So from what you have said your second library is configured as hcart2 and hence would not mount the tape - I covered this in my previous post "or the drives in the second library are wrong (they need to be hcart)"

So now you have changed the media to hcart2 to match the library - this means you will have the same issue in the future if you import in one library and then try to restore from the other library.

What you needed to do was what i suggested and change the drive type in the new library to hcart from hcart2 - you would also need to add a new hcart storage unit to match and edit any barcode rules to be a default of hcart

Once that is done you will be able to import in either library and restore from either library without having to keep messing around with the tapes everytime you do this.

I know what you have has worked but please look at what i sugegsted previously first

If in doubt just delete the new drives and robot and then re-run the wizard but when it detects the drives and robot go to their properties and select hcart rather than hcart2 and it will then automatically set it to the correct density and create the hcart storage unit for you.

Hope this helps

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

I apologize that i didnt read your comment properly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I surely take your suggestion in reconfiugring the new TL with same media density.

Thanks for your comment