cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR Dissimilar disk restore failed

Laverio
Not applicable

Hi guys, I'm having a ******* problem on a BMR from a physical machine to a virtual one (with also a different disks - smaller - configuration).
I can successful map the map the original partitions to the new ones, but when I press OK, BMR client replies me with a "dissimilar disk mapping failed" messagebox. The only solution to begin a restore is to map the C disk as the only partition...

Any suggestions? Pls help, we need to migrate 4 servers from physical to virtual...

Mod Note: Please do not use any profanities in the the forums. For guidlines please see the Discussion Forums Terms and Conditions.

Thank you.

Message Edited by John_B on 03-31-2007 03:13 PM

2 REPLIES 2

Pierce
Level 2
I got past this error by putting in slightly smaller values than what it wanted to make sure the partitions fit in the virtual disk space. You might need to copy "current" to a custom profile for the client in BMR management.

I would then fail on the next step when "Restoring Files" something about "access to the client was not allowed".
I masked the client's IP in /etc/hosts for both the master server and boot server to point them to the virtual machine, but that didn't work.

Anyone got better ideas?

Graham_Brown
Level 3
Partner
Hi There

I'm trying to get to grips with what you guys are doing. I'm assuming that you are migrating from a physical machine to a vmware server. Are the server names identical? It seems to me like the media server doing the restore doesn't have record of the client. Check the media server name or storage unit on the restore job, and make sure that it is able to see that machine. Thats all I can think of first off.