cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR Mass Storage Driver (MSD) problem. Error code = 1

greatlittlebox
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue i've ben having perfroming Dissimilar hardware BMR.

I am restoring a Windows 2003 X64 server in RAID 1 to a new hardware configuration which is using a Dell H700 SAS RAID configured in RAID 10 and the BMR image doesn't pick up the RAID driver resulting in a dissimilar drive mapping failure.

I believe i am doing everything right. These are the following steps I have taken:

1. Downloaded the 64 bit drivers and added them to the 64bit resource tree
2. In the BMR client list i created a new hardware configuration by copying the old one. I modified the mac address for the NIC and added the new network and RAID drivers to the drivers used for restore list. I also tried to remove any extra drivers that were not needed. I also tried checking the box "Force installation of driver instead of windows supplied or newer drivers.
3. Performed a prepare to restore and checked to make sure the boot image was re-created.
4. Booted using PXE
5. This failed with the error 1 so I followed the steps in these other articels: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/317153.htm    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/could-not-initialize-configuration-error-code-1
6. Again it still doesn't work. When i tried to follow the instructinos on how to manually add the MSD the BMR image would boot, then crash and restart the computer. (looked like a driver conflict)

I'm not sure what else to try. I notice that when performing a generic discovery from the BMR boot image it states that the drivers for raid and the NICs are not loaded....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

Have you tried to run Discovery on new hardware using SRT with RAID drivers ?

greatlittlebox
Level 3

I do a generic discovery and it matches all of the drivers except for the RAID. When i go in to BRMR clients and initialize the Devices and Drivers from the discovery it doesn't have the raid controller enabled and when i change it to enabled it says no matching driver found.

Does this mean that i'm not using the right driver? I've downloaded it from the dell website in both 32 and 64 bit

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

You can try to download older version of the driver or original driver because this is probably a OEM.

greatlittlebox
Level 3
Ok, so it seems like this is a driver issue. after a few hours of trying different driver combinations it now recognizes the raid ard in the devices and drivers section of the Admin BMR client hardware list.

the problem now is that no matter what driver i use and how many times i recreate the boot image, the PXE network boot fails after loading stating that " the driver percsas2.sys is corrupt" the dell h700 raid driver version im using is 4.17.32. does this mean that it's unsupported in netbackup 6.5.5? Should I contact Dell to get an older version?

A general question about loading drivers: If i create a boot cd and the SRT contains all of the drivers necessary, will the BMR restore automatically find and use those drivers or do i need to to a "Prepare to restore" with the correct drivers mapped every time i want to do a BMR? Is it different if using PXE instead to the boot cd? 

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

It is question about compatibility with WinPe. NB uses WinPE for restore enviromnent.
I think you should to find older driver..

Have you tried to generate ISO and boot from CD ?