cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR and Encryption not compatible?

Greg_Pagan
Level 4
I am running Netbackup 6.0 MP4 on a Windows 2003 SP1 Master server which is also my Media server.  I have a 2 drive robotic library as my tape media and a large amount of disk space as online backup media as well. 

For all my servers I run a weekly full backup to disk starting on Saturday night, and then run incremental backups on Monday through Friday night to disk.  On Monday morning, once I verify that all the weekly full backups completed sucessfully, I run a duplicate job that takes the weekly full backups that were written to disk and duplicate them to tapes so that I can send them offsite for long term secure storage. 

Company policy mandates that all data sent offsite must be encryted so I encrypt the weekly full backups as they go to disk so when I run the duplicate job, the data is encryted when it goes to tape.  The daily files are not encrypted since they never leave the site.

I now want to add Bare Metal Restore to my environment.  I have installed and configured BMR and was going to the policies to enable the "Collect Data Recovery Information for Bare Metal Restore" option for all of my policies.  For the daily policies where I do not use encryption, the BMR option was available.  On the weekly full policies, which have Encryption enabled I cannot set the BMR option as it is grayed out.  I did not see this restriction in any of the BMR documention or the Encryption documentation.

Is there any way to get around this issue?  Is this issue removed in NetBackup 6.5? 

I do not have a large enough backup window to run 2 weekly full backups, one to tape with encrption and one to disk with the BMR information.  It would be nice if you could encrypt the data as you duplicate it to tape but I could not find any way to do that.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.  While BMR is not critical to have running, it would make my ability to restore a corrupt server much faster.  Unforturnately Encryption is a must so if they are mutually exclusive BMR will have to go.

Greg Pagan
0 REPLIES 0