cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up is failing with error code 73

vinod
Level 2
Hi experts,

I am trying to take backup of a server but i am failing with a error code of 73.
ie. "bpstart_notify fail " .
Can anybody please help me with the solution.

Regards,
Vinod
5 REPLIES 5

Amit_Karia
Level 6
Hi vinod,

try to remove bpstart.notify file from c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin
and retry ... i have just come across the same problem and it worked for me

Nitin_bhosale
Level 3

Removing the file and testing the backup wont be possible in all scenarios. If its a ORA db backup you cant go ahead an do it. As the script might be configured to do initial jobs like taking the DB down, taking Db in backup mode etc.

Can you let us know what are you trying to backup ? Is it a Oracle BLI backup ? If yes then can you try these below steps.
1>can you see any attempt file created in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin. Try ls -l *attempt*. The output should contain something like "policy name.attempt". Remove this file without a hitch.
2> Check for any checkpoints using df -k |grep -i checkpoint. If no chekc points are found retry the backup.

Awaiting response.

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

Have you restarted netbackup Services on clinet?

Please review following articals, these might help you out.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/245950.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300421.htm

Amit_Karia
Level 6
Nitin,

By removing the file i dint mean to remove the file itself .. what i meant was to remove the content of the file for time being and re run the backup to see if there is any problem with the script..

other way around it initiate the script manully and see if it returns 0 or 1 .. the script has to be run by the same user by which netbackup client services are running..

When script is initiated by bpbkar process script may return 1 when script is initiated manully script may return 0..

if both time.. script return 0 then you have to manully edit script parameters

vinod
Level 2

Hi all,
I was trying to take backup of a server that is basically responsible for performance management of Telecom nodes (RNC for 3G OSS). The server is solaris 10 based.
Thanks for all your inputs, will try the possible solutions suggested by you all.

Thanks,
Vinod