Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Exchange 2010 DAG with system DB included

NB-OPS
Level 4

Hi,

NetBackup 7.0.1.

I have an Exchange 2010 DAG that consists of three DB servers: two on local network, and one at our DR site connected via WAN. The one at DR site has only passive DBs (plus its own system DB). I want to minimize traffic over WAN. I am trying to find the best way to back up the whole DAG without losing anything including Exchange system DBs.

If I choose "passive only" and specify only the local members of the DAG in the Preferred Server List, would the DR Exchange's system DB not backed up? I assume system DB is the active DB and has no passive copy?

If I choose "passive copy if not available the active copy" with no prefered servers specified, it often goes to the the DR DAG member to back up the passive DBs, which is I try to avoid.

If I choose "passive copy if not available the active copy" and the prefered servers listed with local DAG members first followed by the DR Exchange server, it often still goes to the DR Exchange for the passive copies of most DBs. In other words, as NetBackup help mentions, the preferred server list is "optional" in this kind of setup.

I must miss something here. Is there a way to ensure all Exchange DBs including system DBs are backed up in a DAG?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why not to create two different sets of policies

1 Which includes all your active/passive copy at local site (which is near to NBU)

2 include only System DB

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why not to create two different sets of policies

1 Which includes all your active/passive copy at local site (which is near to NBU)

2 include only System DB