cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Exchange 2010 using CLI (bpbackup)

koelke
Level 2

I can't find the syntax on how to run backups from the CLI. My backups for the GUI run just fine.

I have this as syntax:

bpbackup -p policy -t 16 -S bckserver1 -w ABC

The bit I'm missing is the "\Microsoft Information Store\NLDB1" etc..

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bpbackup from master or from client?

From master (same as right-click, Manual Backup):

bpbackup -i -p <Exch-policy> -s <schedule-name>

The Backup Selection is retrieved from the policy - no need to specify in command.

From Client: (first add User-type schedule to policy with open window during which user-directed backups are allowed)

bpbackup -p <Exch-policy> -s <User-schedule-name> "\Microsoft Information Store\NLDB1"

I have never tried bpbackup for Exchange, but if you can open BAR GUI on Exchange server, navigate to Information Store, select, and run backup, You will be able to use bpbackup.
Create bpbackup and bpbkar logs on client and test manual backup using the GUI. The path needed for bpbackup will be logged in one or both of these logs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Check this note

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48877

Marianne
Level 6

bpbackup from master or from client?

From master (same as right-click, Manual Backup):

bpbackup -i -p <Exch-policy> -s <schedule-name>

The Backup Selection is retrieved from the policy - no need to specify in command.

From Client: (first add User-type schedule to policy with open window during which user-directed backups are allowed)

bpbackup -p <Exch-policy> -s <User-schedule-name> "\Microsoft Information Store\NLDB1"

I have never tried bpbackup for Exchange, but if you can open BAR GUI on Exchange server, navigate to Information Store, select, and run backup, You will be able to use bpbackup.
Create bpbackup and bpbkar logs on client and test manual backup using the GUI. The path needed for bpbackup will be logged in one or both of these logs.

koelke
Level 2

Yup, that solved my issue.