cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Enterprise Vault in NetBackup

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, I have one Enterprise Vault server (windows 2003 SP2). The SQL database is also in the server. I have installed NBU 7.0.1 media server software in this server. I have a few questions regarding backup and restore the EV server. If I do not use NBU for EV agent:

1. I read some doc which said I need to create two policies: one for vault store, the other to backup SQL. My question is: if so, do I need to run the two policy at the same time or one by one?

2. I undersand I will need bpstart and bpend scripts to put the sever to read only mode when doing backup. Are there any samples?

3. If I want to restore one of the closed partitions, do I need to restore SQL database as well? How about restore open partition?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

What happened to your agent backups? If i recall correctly you posted about it?

1. If you want to use the legacy method to backup EV you need to protect SQL, and the File Systems. You could run two policies, one SQL, and one MS-Windows or you could add a command to dump the SQL databases as part of your bpstart script. If you use this method the dump of the database can be scheduled (in the bpstart_script) to occur after EV is placed in backup mode. You Windows backup then picks up the indexes, vault stores, dumps of the databases, etc etc. See this note http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87494
  2. There is a section in the EV admin guide "Using powershell cmdlets in backup scripts". Use these examples and place them in the bpstart_notify.bat en bpend_notify.bat scripts.
  3. As a partition is part of a Vault Store I would restore the vaulstore db as well as the partition but you might want to check with support or post it on the EV forum.
  4. Also remember that you cannot use "allow multiple datastreams" when using this type of backup. It has to be one stream or the scripts run before and after each stream.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

What happened to your agent backups? If i recall correctly you posted about it?

1. If you want to use the legacy method to backup EV you need to protect SQL, and the File Systems. You could run two policies, one SQL, and one MS-Windows or you could add a command to dump the SQL databases as part of your bpstart script. If you use this method the dump of the database can be scheduled (in the bpstart_script) to occur after EV is placed in backup mode. You Windows backup then picks up the indexes, vault stores, dumps of the databases, etc etc. See this note http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87494
  2. There is a section in the EV admin guide "Using powershell cmdlets in backup scripts". Use these examples and place them in the bpstart_notify.bat en bpend_notify.bat scripts.
  3. As a partition is part of a Vault Store I would restore the vaulstore db as well as the partition but you might want to check with support or post it on the EV forum.
  4. Also remember that you cannot use "allow multiple datastreams" when using this type of backup. It has to be one stream or the scripts run before and after each stream.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Riaan, thanks a lot for your replies. I proposed to use agent to do backup but my management wants to do in the legacy way. I myself also has one conern about agent backup: the backup is simple as everything is taking care by the agent. How about recovery? If I want to restore one of the closed partition, is it just a normal recovery or there are some addtional works to do? If I want to restore the open partition, do I need to restore the database as well? Sorry, but I found the NBU for EV admin guide is not very clear to me for the restore portion.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I know its a "backup" question but I would post that on the EV forum as they will know what the impact on the DB (and vice versa) is when restoring a specific component like, just a partition, just a closed partition, etc etc.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Riaan, thanks for your replies.

RiaanBadenhorst

Pleasure. I forgot to mention, if you're going to use the stored procedures to dump sql you would need to use the sqlcmd utility to call it from your bpstart script.