cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Frequency Issue

Hanzo581
Level 4

Good Afternoon all,

We recently had to manually kick off some jobs due to they failing and not being noticed until they were outside of their window.  Due to them being kicked off manually the following weekend when they were scheduled (not by calendar) to run they did not kick off.  We use frequency on everything but monthly and yearly jobs.

These jobs were weekly full backups.  The frequency was set to 1 week, my thought to stop this from ever happening again is to set the frequency to 1 day, that way no matter when we have the weekly job scheduled to run it will run even if we had to do an manual the night before.

Is there any harm to doing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

then as you said frequency should be one day and backup window needs to be open only on  Saturday.

so the manual backup shdnt be kicked off with in the 24hrs from the window END time...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Let the frequency should be 1 week and open the backup window daily so that next day backup will triggered once it meets the frequency instead of waiting for a next open window

Hanzo581
Level 4

I don't want to change the backup windows.  My basic question was if I have a weekly job that runs say every Saturday does it have to be set to 1 week or will setting it to 1 day also allow it to run, only with the benefit of manual backups through the week not throwing off the schedule allowing it to still run as normal.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

then as you said frequency should be one day and backup window needs to be open only on  Saturday.

so the manual backup shdnt be kicked off with in the 24hrs from the window END time...

Hanzo581
Level 4

Right, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause any problems.

Right now the weekly just has a window on Saturday, I wanted to set the frequency to 1 day so that just in case someone kicks off a manual backup thursday I still get my Saturday job to run.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Yes smiley..It ll nt miss its schedule..Go ahead

Hanzo581
Level 4

Thanks!

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Hanoz,

np, u can close this thread by marking relavent answer as solution so that others can benefit as well.

Also whn verified you dint mark solutions for ur posts ,I assume you gt answers ..Plz dont forget to Mark Solutions if your question is clarified/Issue is resolved.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/help-creating-report-opscenter
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pulling-individual-files-system-state-backup-recovery

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

:edit#:ofcorse no harm in doing it

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I do realize that this discussion is closed, but please read through David Chapa's article to get a good understanding of Frequency scheduling: NetBackup Frequency Based Scheduling