cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Large File Server x Netbackup

Everton_Candido
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello, I would like some help to solve follow backup needs.

I have this structure:
- 1 Physical Fileserver with 20TB in unic Lun  (with large files - media files like AVI, WAV...)
- Dedicated Network with Media Server / 3GB
- Media Server with 20TB (internal disk)
- Tape Library with 4 tapes LTO4

Need to provide an daily backup to tape (incremental)
Also need to be backed up weekly and monthly to always tape in a window of 16 hours. I can use a mix backup (disk and tape) to this.

What is the best solution to do this with Netbackup? I can make investment in tape and disk to meet this scenario however need to be sure how best to backup below.

Sorry for the english (I´m using google translate).

Thank you

Everton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Dedupe is NOT the answer here.  It's stupid expensive and not efficient to do this at all.  You'll get zero dedupe or compression on multimedia files.  

Your 20TB backup of multimedia files will probably not fit in a 20TB backup disk.

The better option would be an Enterprise Client and the Flashsnap option to write to tape.  Or take a mirror clone, and backup the clone via a proxy host.  At least you have a point in time copy of the production LUN (Backup completed) and now just have to wait for it to spin to tape.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Brook_Humphrey
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

on your media server set it up with MSDP and then set up an slp to dupe to tape. 

Use accelerator and client side dedupe for your backups. This way the only one you really have to deal with is the frist backup which I think you are going to find will take allot longer than 16 hours. But after that with using acclerator you should at least get your initial backup done within that. 

With accelrator it acts like a full in that the backup image will give you a full selection of files to restore for every backup but only does an incremental each time. I'm not sure what your numbers will look like but you may get close to the 16 hour requirement and every backup will look like a full so your weekly and monthlies should also be snappy for you.

it may be though that 4 tape drives will not be able to keep up. For that you really wont know until you impliment. We can give theroretical throughput but I have found depending on infrastructure and how it's setup that most of the time each environment bahaves differently.

Everton_Candido
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Humphrey, thanks for the fast feedback.

I thought about using the MSDP x accelerator with SLP.

My question to this is the use of rehydration time data every weekend when the MSDP to duplicate tape.

Another question is how much incremental every day should be copied to tape, it is possible to use the SLP only to differential using MSDP and every day it will rehydrate the entire contents of MSDP?

thank you

Everton?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Dedupe is NOT the answer here.  It's stupid expensive and not efficient to do this at all.  You'll get zero dedupe or compression on multimedia files.  

Your 20TB backup of multimedia files will probably not fit in a 20TB backup disk.

The better option would be an Enterprise Client and the Flashsnap option to write to tape.  Or take a mirror clone, and backup the clone via a proxy host.  At least you have a point in time copy of the production LUN (Backup completed) and now just have to wait for it to spin to tape.

Everton_Candido
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

so.. one more question. For this scenario(20TB backup with flashsnap), how many tape drives(considering lto 4) would I theoretically need to accomplish that 16 hours window?

Thanks