cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Tape query on netbackup

Ravi_Kumar_L
Level 4

Hi,

I have taken out one of the tape from robotic library but after completing logical inventory ./vmupdate, particular tape volume is reflecting in volume pool. My understanding is if we remove a tape from library, tape or its image should not be reflected in volume pool. Am I right.

Also please describe the exact diff between ./vmupdate and ./vmphyinv

I am using ./vmudpate for logical inventory and ./vmphyinv for backupexec tapes inventory.

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A valid backup image will stay in the volume pool as long as the retention describes. A tape can only change volume pool when it's in scratch status. 

When you eject a tape it changes the Volume group. The "---" volume group means "not in library".

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Nicolai is correct, the tape will stay in the volume pool until it expires.  However, if you physically move a tape, the tape will change volume groups (volume group ---) is created when you eject tapes from the library, if all these tapes are put backinto a library, volume group (---) will disappear.

The volume group shows the <density_index>_<robot_number>_<robot type>

For example, if I have x1 TLD robot with hcart drives, the volume group will be ...

000_00000_TLD

If I add another density of drive, say hcart2 into the library ... a new volume group appears (when tapes are added )

001_00000_TLD - This is the same physical robot, but the 001 shows that there is another 'instance' of drive density.  You cannot tell the drive density from this, it just shopws that there are multiple different types of drives.

vmpdate looks at the barcodes of the tapes to run the inventory

vmphyinv actually loads the tape and reads the header - it is much slower, but correct for inventory on BE tapes.

Martin

Luv_Rai
Level 3
Certified

Ravi,

If you remove the media from library and rerun the inventory, You will observe the as Media ID will reflect in vmpool, but when you check in Robot Type- it will show " NONE" means media is not in Robotic,

In case two have media is in library, the robotic type will show " TLD", if your library is TLD library.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Volume Pool is logical use of media

Volume Group is physical location

Martin (mph999) describes ./vmupdate and ./vmphyinv pretty well.