cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup cross domain clients

kasvis
Level 3

1. I have a requirement of backing up of Windows 2008 clients which are in a difference domain to the current Netbackup Servers (version 7.0.1).Can someone help me with the documentation,how-to,tips for configuring Netbackup backups for clients across domains?.

2. Is there any documentation available which details the licensing of Netbackup Products?

9 REPLIES 9

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

What is the backup type?

File System? or Database Agent ?

kasvis
Level 3

The requirement is to backup both Active Directory and File System.

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

Try the following step:

1. Register IP and Hostname(alias and full qualify name) on master and client
  2. Try to ping to client hostname from master server
  3. Install Netbackup client
  4. Try to bptestbpcd from master server to client
  5. Try to backup.

I hope it can help you,

Thanks,

Falti Manullang

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just to expand on Falti's excellent post: There are 2 basic requirements:

Forward and reverse name lookup
Port connectivity

DNS is normally a problem across domains, therefore it is a lot easier to add hosts entries on master, media server(s) and clients. What is important is that the client must be able to resolve the incoming IP address from master and/or media server to a valid hostname that exists in its SERVER list.

If there is a firewall between the domains, ensure that ports 1556 (pbx) and 13724 (vnetd) are open in both directions between server(s) and clients.

As far as licensing is concerned, you will need "Standard Client Cross Platform".
File System and Active Directory (as part of Shadow Copy Components) will be backed up with MS-Windows policy under the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive. Else, file list can be specified explicitly.

kasvis
Level 3

Thanks.I installed the client and checked the client connectivity and it seems to be fine.

However, the backup job failed saying that "access to the client was not allowed(59)".(I am trying only filesystem now)

1. Can the netbackup client service (on the client) run with 'Local System' account or does it require any special service credentials?.Does it require any additional permissions for cross domain access?.

With regards to licensing - I have licenese for 'SYMC NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE CLIENT 7.0 WIN/LNX/SOLX64'.Is this enough?.Is it required for each client that needs to be backed up?.

Marianne
Level 6

Status 59 means the client is unable to resolve the server's IP address to a hostname that is in the client's SERVER list.

Do the following from cmd on client:

bpclntcmd -hn <master/media name>
bpclntcmd -ip <master/media IP>

Verify that name returned from IP lookup is the client's SERVER list (either Registry or BAR -> File -> Specify Machine names.

Please also create bpcd log dir under netbackup\logs on the client and do the following from master (and media server if backup is done by a media server):

bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -verbose

Please post output of bptestbpcd as well as client's bpcd log.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

For a regular FS backup you can run with LOCAL SYSTEM. Remember, Netbackup is a cross platfrom product i.e. it doesn't care about windows domains. You could have a Solaris or Linux Master/Media backing up 1, 2, or multiple Windows domains. Domain credentials are only required when you're doing specific agent backups, and usually it is only required to start the NetBackup Client Service on the client server. In some other cases you might need to specify a domain logon account somewhere in NetBackup.

That license is sufficient for backing up file system data from clients across the lan. You need 1 of these per client.

Check the comms as suggested by Marianne below, and also verify that the backup server (either the media server or master server) is listed in the host properties of the client. Check HOST PROPERIES > CLIENTS > SERVERS

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

remember, dont forget to disable your windows firewall.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

On the client if the master and or media server is list a short name can the client ping it by short name.

If the client can only ping via long name, than make sure that you put the FQDN for the master and the media server in the clients NB server list.