Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failing with error code 84

ankur1809
Level 5

Backup failing with error code 84.

Version 7.6

client OS:Linux

Data is getting written into a disk pool.

14 REPLIES 14

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

What type of disk pool is it?

ankur1809
Level 5
It is a data domain

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Update the Data Domain OS to 5.4 and update the BOOST plugin. EMC was not very lucky with the DDOS 5.3 code.

RiaanBadenhorst

nbdevquery -listdp -stype DataDomain -U

That will show you if the disk pool is up.

nbdevquery -listdv -stype DataDomain -dp "disk pool name from previous command" -U

That will show you if the disk volume is up.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128377 is about logs to check for Data domain pool issues

ankur1809
Level 5

Please find result of the command that shows pool is UP. there are three media servers in this pool are selected by least recently used method.

Full backup finishes as partially backed up(Sucessful)

Diff inc backups are failing continously.

RiaanBadenhorst

Ok, next review the ddfs.info file from the DataDomain server.

ankur1809
Level 5

ddfs.info size i have generated now only. Its size is 500MB approx. How to proceed with it?

ankur1809
Level 5
Do i need to upload full ddfs.info file?

RiaanBadenhorst

No don't upload it. Just check the log during the same time frame as when you're seeing the errors on the backups. That might give you some idea of what is wrong.

ankur1809
Level 5

Riaan, please help me further with this case. As i want to add something- as if now server gets successfully backed up in 2nd or 3rd attempt but generally it fails in first attempt. What could be a specific reason for the same.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Looks like  this hits a timeout ... from the first log you posted:

04:40:33 – begin writing

13:51:05 - failed

You could ramp up the timeouts .. but that is a BIG gap! .. so maybe set your fragment size smaller on your disk storage unit to keep updates running regularly ..

A full backup just gets on with things and backs everything up .. a differential has to scan all files first and this maybe also be where your issue lies.

Does the client have an exclude_list? If so make sure it is not full of wildcards that could be causing the slow down as it has to process all of those before it even starts the backup.

Failing all that you may just need to break the policy down into smaller streams / policies to reduce the time each can take scanning parts of the file system

ankur1809
Level 5

Mark,

Still i have set client read timeout is set to 3600.

One more thing to your vaulable statement in my scenario as well full backups are successful but  issue is only with Diffrntl backups.

Output for exclude list:PFA

Related to Fragment Size: Data is getting written into data domain disk and maximun fragment size is 524288. Kindly suggest if change could be done. because it is backed up by 3 data domain disks in a storage group(Round Robin)

ankur1809
Level 5

Kindly suggest what further could be done

Marianne
Level 6

If you are still experiencing the same issue, please log a call with Data Domain.

The plugin error points to a DD problem.

See:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH212444 
and
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH216451

PS:
In future, please rather copy the text in Activity Monitor and paste here,  rather than a screenshot in Word doc.