Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup for SQL

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

I would like to create anew policy for SQL server.the master server is configured in windows server but not joined to the domain and have one media server and sql server with running databases.the script is already created on the client machine(sql server) .

I already followed the steps below:

1.log to the SQL server

2.start>programs>SQL server management studio>database properties>option>recovery model  should be in full mode for all databases.

3.change the settings of netbackup client services on the SQL server: from logon as local system account to log on as: domain admin account with full privilege

4.goto start>program>netbackup ms sql client>right click and run as administrator

5.in the SQL server connection properties enter the name of SQL host and the user id and password of the sql administrator account

6.start creating the sql script for backup: goto file>backup sql server objects

7.select the databases for backup then save them in full type of backup the append them for transaction type

8.create anew policy for SQL backup

my concern  is two parts:

first: change the settings of netbackup client services on the SQL server: from logon as local system account to log on as: domain admin account with full privilege( is this step mandatory because as i told you before that the master server not joining any domain ,so what is the right way to do this?)

second: As the master server not joined to the domain how could i configure the selection in the sql policy to access the script on the sql client?)

regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
1. No need for domain admin account. Client Service must be started with SQL user account. Best to use same service account as the one used for MS-SQL services. 2. Add hosts entry on master and media server for SQL client. Add hosts entries for master and media server on the client. Check that Windows Firewall is disabled on servers and client.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
1. No need for domain admin account. Client Service must be started with SQL user account. Best to use same service account as the one used for MS-SQL services. 2. Add hosts entry on master and media server for SQL client. Add hosts entries for master and media server on the client. Check that Windows Firewall is disabled on servers and client.

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

Appreciate your quick responce.

This mean that by adding the hosts entry on both sides I will be able to access the remote folder on the SQL server to select the backup script? and no thing needed more?

Yes the ports of the firewall are open

Regards

Marianne
Level 6

Server is not trying to access folder/script on client. It simply sends instruction to client to start the script.

So, the client is running the script, not the server. When client starts the script, it sends backup request to the master.

Ensure all of these logs exist for possible troubleshooting:

Master: bprd (restart NBU Request service to enable this log)

Media server: bpbrm and bptm

SQL client: bpcd and dbclient

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

thanks Marriane,

I didnt configure the server yet because I'm engaged with other Project,But I believe that you mention every thing may I need

Marianne
Level 6

Thanks for the feedback!