cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup is running slowely on windows 8 R2 VM Client

Stiva
Level 4

Hi All,

I have a issue with a backup of windows 8 client. It's a VM. Backup rate is very slow on it. Speed is 1gbps.

I tried the multiplexing. Changed the suitable SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS value on media server. Nothing is working.

We are using LTO4 tapes.

Master server version is 7.1.0.4, Client server version is 7.1.

Please suggest some solution to improve the backup speed.

Thanks In Advace.

Stiva..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Stiva from your description is sounds like you are running a NetBackup Client inside the VM.

As it is a VM you probably need to look at both the VM and the underlying infrastructure like ESX, Storage and Network.

I would start with testing how fast the data can be read (bpbkar32 -nocont <drive>:\ > NUL 2> <drive>:\err.txt )

And look at the fragmentation on the drives, fragmented file systems is slower to read

hopes this helps you

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Did you really get 1Gbps(120MB/s)? It is equal to LTO4's native transfer rate. It seems not slow for me.

Please tell us more about your backup configuration and how much speed you expect.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Also the BPTM log will give us a good idea of write speen. Please make sure logging is up for that. review TECH18422 as it talks about using BPTM to modify data buffers for improving speed.

Stiva
Level 4

Thanks to reply. At the time of backup I am getting speed approx. 600KB/S. which is too low.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Stiva from your description is sounds like you are running a NetBackup Client inside the VM.

As it is a VM you probably need to look at both the VM and the underlying infrastructure like ESX, Storage and Network.

I would start with testing how fast the data can be read (bpbkar32 -nocont <drive>:\ > NUL 2> <drive>:\err.txt )

And look at the fragmentation on the drives, fragmented file systems is slower to read

hopes this helps you

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

hi, Stiva

It's recommened to do benchmark testing for storage system, network, backup media to gradually exclude possible problme.

1. Network banwidth. With some network tools, e.g. iperf, get the network bandwidth value.

2. Storage system. With some read/write tools to get the read(for netbackup, it's backup operation) perfromance, e.g. dd for windows, IOMeter. You also directly use bpbkar32 to measure disk read performance, as follows:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH17541(How to benchmark the performance of the bpbkar32 process on a Windows client)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56131(Measuring disk performance with bpbkar)

3. Backup Media. not sure how to directly test tape drive read/write performance on windows.

but i think you could local disk instead of physical tape to see if the physical has problems.

We could troubleshoot NetBackup software itself at last. Hope helps.

Thanks

Stiva
Level 4

You are right Michael. The drives were fragmented.

Thanks Marianne to mark it as a solution. I was not in touch with Forum from last one month.

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs smiley