cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup policy

ankushkalra
Level 5

Hi,

I have created a new backup server in our envirement.There are about 20 backup policies configured in our backup server.Most of the policy configured are as below.

Daily-run daily

Weekly-runs on every friday

Monthly-runs after every 4th week(friday)

when i created all policies the first backup which ran was monthlly.Also the daily backups are also running fine.

I have a question that in every 4th week backup do i have to make an exception manually in weekly backkup so that weekly backup dont run when monthly is schduled or this can be taken care by netbackup automatically.

I am using veritas master server 6.5.6 on a windows 2k8 Enterprise R264bit.

I know that 6.5.6 is out of support since 3 years but can't help it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@ankushkalra 

I was hoping that you would download NBU Admin Guide as per my advice of 2 days ago and start to read up about NBU Frequency schedules.

I will try to rephrase my answer :

If 2 schedules are due at the same time (Weekly and Monthly), then NBU wil only submit the one with the lower frequency (4-weekly) and skip the Weekly schedule with 1-week schedule.

This behaviour is documented in NBU 6.5 Admin Guide I under this topic:

Backup frequency determines schedule priority

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It depends on backup type and start window of your schedules. To ensure weekly schedule does not override monthly schedule, uncheck 4th Friday  in Calendar Schedule tab of weekly schedule.

Marianne
Level 6
Let us know if the schedules are Frequency or Calendar based.

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Also what I find not clear is if those are scedules in a single policy, or running the daily, weekly, monthly from seperate policies.

ankushkalra
Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

I have one policy created .In one policy three backup sechdules were created daily,weekly and monthly.

Also backup window of weekly and monthly are exactly same i.e from friday evening to monday morning.

Marianne
Level 6
We still don't know if schedules are Calendar or Frequency?

ankushkalra
Level 5

The schdules are frequency.

Marianne
Level 6
For Frequency schedules, the one with the lowest frequency (4 weeks) will run. How jobs are submitted for Frequency schedules is covered in NBU Admin Guide I. You can locate and download manuals from 'Handy NBU Links ' in my signature.

ankushkalra
Level 5

Marianne I  am not getting you

My question was

"I have a question that in every 4th week backup do i have to make an exception manually in weekly backkup so that weekly backup dont run when monthly is schduled or this can be taken care by netbackup automatically."

Thankx

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If your scheduling is very strict in that it can only be three weekly backups followed by a fourth week which is perhaps considered as a monthly backup, e.g. the weekly backups have a frequency of one week, yet the four weekly has a frequency of four weeks, and they both have the same run window - then NetBackup will run the schedule that has not run for the longest period of time - and so when the four weekly schedule becomes eligible, then NetBackup will run the four weekly schedule and not run the weekly schedule.

Are you aware that calendars are effectively 4-4-5-4-4-5, etc... so the net effect is that your four weekly cycle is not really a monthly cycle, i.e. the four weekly schedule will slowly slide down through the month - i.e. every few months it will occur earlier in the month - and that you effectly end up with 13 executions per year of this schedule.

Ishant
Level 2

Under  the weekly schedule tab you can simply exclude the fourth week friday and it is all done, you don't have to do anything else as every fourth week then monthly backup will run, also you have to exclude every friday from your daily schedule.

Marianne
Level 6

@ankushkalra 

I was hoping that you would download NBU Admin Guide as per my advice of 2 days ago and start to read up about NBU Frequency schedules.

I will try to rephrase my answer :

If 2 schedules are due at the same time (Weekly and Monthly), then NBU wil only submit the one with the lower frequency (4-weekly) and skip the Weekly schedule with 1-week schedule.

This behaviour is documented in NBU 6.5 Admin Guide I under this topic:

Backup frequency determines schedule priority

ankushkalra
Level 5

Thanks all for the help.