cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup selection for cluster nodes

Amaan
Level 6

Hi All,

I found Technote for backing up clustered environment and as per this TN it says that we have to configure backup for all nodes seperatly and configure backup for share drives.

My question, when I configure backup for one of the nodes what should be backup selection. In my current situation backup selection is ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and want to know if only local drives will be backed up or shares will be backed up as well. Please find attached screenshot of the my computer and help me to find what will be backed up.

Master: Windows 2008R2, NetBackup 7.0.1

Client: same as master

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES takes all volumes mounted on the host. This includes shared disks mounted on the active node. If you want to exclude shared disks, add it into exclude list for the policy of node backup.

Amaan
Level 6

Do you know if I will uncheck "Backup network drive" it will not back up shared drives, or it will back them up anyway?

And second question how I can back them (clustered drives) up seperatly?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No - shared drive is not network drive. Still seen as local by active node.

The following is what users normally do for clusters:

Option 1:
Policy 1: ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES for physical node names with exclude list for shared drives
Policy 2: Shared data for virtual hostname. This could be Db backup policy like Exchange or SQL.

Option 2:
Policy 1: Local Drives explicitly listed as Backup Selection for physical node names.
Policy 2: Shared data for virtual hostname. This could be Db backup policy like Exchange or SQL.

You need to verify that name lookup between server(s) and virtual hostname is working like with physical names.

Dreamleo
Level 3

Hi Marianne

In Option 1, if there are no cluster applications, like Exchange or SQL, do we still need to backup using the virtual hostname? Can i just backup ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES for physical node (without exclude the shared drives), since the shared drives will still be backed up with the active node.

Thanks!

Leo

Amaan
Level 6

HI Marianne,

If we will install NetBackup client software on both nodes of cluter, will it be enough for backing up shares with cluster hostname?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best to speak to server owners about what they need backed up.

If they need system drive(s) and Shadow Copy Components backed up, you will need a separate policy for that.

A policy for shared drives using virtual hostname as Client name is good for shared data.
Just double-check forward and reverse lookup for virtual hostname from all media servers that can backup the cluster.