cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot BMR CD and USB keyboard

cs753js
Level 3

Hi All,

I just opened a call with Symantec Support for a weird problem related with the BMR boot CD when used on servers with USB-only keyboard support.

In few words, on IBM 3550 servers, just after booting the CD, at the very first question where it asks the client's name the keyboard is dead! No way to type anything.

Both the ISO for Linux and the ISO for Windows are affected by the problem.

Symantec confirmed that it's a known issue on servers that don't have PS2 support but only USB support.

Apparently they're right, as the very same CDs (Linux and Win) works perfectly when booted off a different machine (old desktop PC or server, even laptops, etc)

The weird thing is that they were able to ship a patch (a modified bmrsrtadm binary) for Linux, that I haven't tried yet, but Support claims that a similar patch for Windows hasn't been released yet, so they escalated the problem with Engineering!!

Is it really possible that I'm the first man in the world attempting a BMR for a Windows client on a USB-keybord only server?? Sounds strange to me, as more and more vendors are shipping new models without PS2 support.

Regs

L. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I know there are fixes in BMR 6.5.4 for this very problem (maybe stemming from the original poster's trouble report?), but that's not going to help you TODAY.  If you need a binary, you'll probably need to open a case - reference Etrack 1265095 as a starting point for your TSE.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

dracove
Level 2

Hi,

cs753js

Do you have any update about this problem?

Because I have the same problem with Veritas BMR 6.5 and  IBM Blade Center HS21 with SUSE 9 SLES9 SP3

Jaggi
Level 4
Certified
Any Update on this? We are also facing same problem with PS2 keyboard on IBM Blade Server.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I know there are fixes in BMR 6.5.4 for this very problem (maybe stemming from the original poster's trouble report?), but that's not going to help you TODAY.  If you need a binary, you'll probably need to open a case - reference Etrack 1265095 as a starting point for your TSE.  Good luck!