cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I import backup images on a Data Domain?

zmlat
Level 4

Hello,

I have 2 NBU domains, and I need to restore an oracle DB backup (backed up via NBU/RMAN api) that was backed up in one domain, to a server in another. The 2 NB domains are on separate DNS domains, so I'm having an issue with reverse lookups. Hence, I figure maybe do an import. Problem is on the backup side the tapes are LTO6, and on the restore side, drives are LTO5. However, all backups go to DD first, and the Data Domain has network connections on both DNS entities. Wondering if I can leverage that to do the restore. NB version on the backup side is 7.6.0.4, and on the restore client its 7.5.0.6 (not sure if thats going to be an issue as well).

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

X2
   VIP   

How about this:

1. For the client (restore2) on which you want to restore to(say on NBUDOMAIN2), add master/media servers from NBUDOMAIN1 so that servers from NBUDOMAIN1 can have access to it.

2. Add restore2 client to NBUDOMAIN1 policy and test connectivity (I'm assuming that you have proper ACLs open for this task)

3. Change dbaltnames to give access for redirected (or is it alternate restore) restore for image of restorfrm to restore2

4. Perform the restore

5. Undo this custom configuration if not required anymore

Genericus
   VIP   

You should be able to set up AIR, and use SLP to replicate the images to the second DD on your next backup.

NetBackup 10.2.0.1 on Flex 5360, duplicating via SLP to Access 3350, duplicating via SLP to LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I doubt that any import / restore / AIR will work with NBU 7.6.x -> 7.5.x version.

Lower to higher version may work, but not higher to lower version.

PLEASE upgrade both environments to 7.7.x as all versions up to 7.6.x will reach EOSL in about 6 months....

PS:

I second the AIR suggestion, but the target/restore environment cannot be a lower version of NBU.