cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I install NBU6.5 client on ESX server without any additional license?

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

Hi,

I am wondering whether I can install NBU6.5 client on ESX server without any additional license?

what I am trying to do is that:

install NBU 6.5 client on ESX server and then backup "*vmdk" files for VMs.....

can I install NBU6.5 client on ESX server just like the other linux client?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, in 6.5 you still have to use VCB to backup the ESX / VMDKs. It involves installing VCB on to a media server, adding storage to the media server (holding tank) and then performing the backups via VCB to the holding tank, and then to tape via netbackup.

Not a very efficient way to backup ESX. I really suggest you upgrade, the features in 7.1 are awesome.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Well you didn't mention your ESX version, but for 4.x versions you cannot install anything into the ESX (console) as you could previously.

But not to worry, with netbackup 7.x you don't need to. See the guide below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3663

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

hi Riaan

thanks for your help...that will be very helpful...I will read it later....

but is there a similar document link for netbackup 6.5?

RiaanBadenhorst

No, in 6.5 you still have to use VCB to backup the ESX / VMDKs. It involves installing VCB on to a media server, adding storage to the media server (holding tank) and then performing the backups via VCB to the holding tank, and then to tape via netbackup.

Not a very efficient way to backup ESX. I really suggest you upgrade, the features in 7.1 are awesome.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It is also worth pointing out that installing a clinet on an ESX Server is no longer supported when you get to V7.

VCB is OK at V6.5 but has its limitations and it troublesome to setup.

As long as your ESX Servers are controlled by a vCenter Server then you will be able to use the vSphere features in V7 (Go to V7.1.0.2 when you upgrade to get the full featires and benefits)

Hope this helps

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

hi, thanks you all

I got it .....