cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run a 7.5.0.5 client with 7.5.0.4 master and media servers?

BAatSynthes
Level 3

I have hit the issue of Shadow Copy components failing with status 156 on the inactive node of a cluster:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-shadow-copy-components-failed-status-code-156

They have removed the EEB to fix this since the release of 7.5.0.5, so I pretty much have to upgrade the client to get the fix.  To upgrade the master and media servers involves a lot of paperwork for me, and I am building and testing a new 7.6.0.1 environment to put into production early in the new year.  So although I think I know the answer to this, does anybody know if I can get away with running a 7.5.0.5 client in my 7.5.0.4 environment?  

Is there another solution to the VSS issue I'm not aware of?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, you can. See Version Compatibility TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29677

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

Vss issues could be due to multiple reasons - writers not stable, maximum show copy size limited, etc.

The error 156  is very generic. If you are sure that the writers are stable and you are successfuly able to take a windows level backup (i.e. ntbackup for win2k3 and wbadmin for win2k8) then we would need to take a look at the job details and maybe logs to tell you if there is any other solution.

If you are sure that the issue is resolved in 7.5.0.5 then why not just go ahead and upgrade the client software.

Also do take a look at the windows event viewer for any VSS related errors, the issue could be non-Netbackup as well, in which case upgrading Netbackup may not resolve the issue.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Strictly speaking, the NBU client at version 7.5.0.5 is supported for NBU servers at 7.5.0.4.

As long as the matter is isolated to the client itself, doing the upgade should be fine.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You could have NetBackup 7.5.0.6 client with a 7.5 Master and that would be acceptable!

7.5.0.x clients can be any minor version level as long as the master/media servers are also 7.5.0.0 or above.