cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect On Socket

DJeyes
Level 2

Afternoon All,

My first post here and i have tried searching for anything similiar but havent found anything that deals with my issue, basically I am trying to restore some files and have the correct tapes in the libary  but get the "cannot connect on socket" error message and then the restore stops

Any help would be appreciated..

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

NetBackup versions? Operating systems involved? Also, the steps you have followed and what it is you are trying to restore.

Something you can look through in the meantime which will also indicate some of the logs you can look through:

In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 25 in Veritas NetBackup (tm) Server / NetBackup Enterprise Server 6.0

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43249

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

NetBackup versions? Operating systems involved? Also, the steps you have followed and what it is you are trying to restore.

Something you can look through in the meantime which will also indicate some of the logs you can look through:

In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 25 in Veritas NetBackup (tm) Server / NetBackup Enterprise Server 6.0

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43249

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

On the client you are trying to restore to - is netbackup still installed?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Where are you trying to restore from?

Ensure the Server name in the host selection tabs contains the Master Server host name.

DJeyes
Level 2

Netbackup version is 7.0, OS is windows 2003 server, and basically we are trying to restore some old DLT tapes from a old tape libary which we have connected up, i can inventory and view everything as per normal but get the message as soon as i initiate a restore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

"cannot connect on socket" its basically due to connectivity issue .

First verify whether you can able to open the client properties of the client machine from Admin console client properties . If you face the same issue while opening client properties then restart the Netbackup service on the clinet machine and check .

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

considering that these are old tapes - was a different media server used to do the backups?

Marianne
Level 6

Please outline the steps that you are taking:

Can you successfully browse for images? If not, what is the search criteria that you enter in the different boxes? (Server, Source client, destination client, policy type)

If you can successfully browse and then submit the restore request, do you get a message that the restore was successfully initiated?

If successfully initiated, does the job appear in the Activity Monitor?

If so, please share contents of Details tab.

Please also ensure that you have the following log directories:

On master: bprd (NBU needs to be restarted after creating the directory)

On media server: bpbrm, bptm

On client: bpcd, tar.

The first log that we need to see is bprd on the master server. We need the section that corresponds with the restore attempt.

HEMANPR
Level 6

Check the client name for restore and check the target name on BAR windows.

You need to have Netbackup client installed on the target computer.

Check if the service (Netbackup Client) have login with a domain admin account on client.

Check If you can access the client from the Host / Clients window. If you can't connect to your client, Then you have connectivity issu es.

If Yes, Check if the Restore Client can write and access to the target computer (Host / Client Properties / Servers) Insert the IP of source / master and target computers into the HOSTS files on Windows (On the 3 computers)

Let us know Thanks.

rishi_redington
Level 2
Partner Accredited

hi,

when i am trying to restore from the client it gives a message that

error:can not connect to socket

Please any one help me to resolve the issue...........waiting

Marianne
Level 6

Your client is trying to connect to bprd (via vnetd) on master server called srv03.

Is srv03 the master? Test connectivity from client to master. From cmd, do:

bpclntcmd -pn

Please post output of this command as well as section in bprd log on master server that reflects the client's incoming connection request.

rishi_redington
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Dear i m not able to run this cmd in client.....bpclntcmd -pn,but when i am running this on NBU server ,it shows

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -pn
expecting response from server nbuserver
nbuserver.nbu.com nbuserver 192.168.1.35 3180

PLZ GUIDE>>ASAP

Marianne
Level 6

"i m not able to run this cmd in client" ??

Please explain? This command (bpclntcmd) has been part of client installation for as long as I'm working with NBU. It is also in <install_path>\veritas\netbackup\bin.

You did not mention the NBU or OS version - if the client is W2008, you need to right-click on Command Prompt and 'Run as Administrator' (even if you are a local or domain admin).

You need to run the command on the CLIENT to test comms from client to master.

If you run the command on the master, it simply tests comms from itself to itself.

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified

this is purely a connectivity issue. you need to check the following:

1. if there is firewalll both at the server level and the network level.

2. check the host file if the right master server and the media server entries are correct.