cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot configure a Data Domain OST device : cannot connect on socket

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I get the folowing message on nbdevconfig for two Data Domain appliances on two media servers:

command : nbdevconfig -creatests -st 9 -storage_server xxxx -stype DataDomain -media_server yyyy

error (after waiting about 1 mn) : Failed to create storage server xxxx, cannot connect on socket.

However, master configuration is OK, and Data Domain connectivity check tools says that everything is OK !

Technical support is looking to this case since one week and does not found anything wrong...

Does someone has already experienced this?

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

They've probably asked for this but can you issue the command again, then run

vxlogview -a -p NB -o 222 -t 00:05

Does your media server maybe have more than 1 NIC? How is name resolution done, hosts files or dns? Can you ping by name from both the DD to the medias, and from the medias to the DD?

Marianne
Level 6

Have you installed the correct OST plugin on the media servers? If 64-bit Windows media server, double-check that matching plugin is installed. NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service needs to be restarted (nbrmms on Unix media server).

Verify that plugin is recognized by Media server:

bpstsinfo -pi

Double-check hosts entries (as per Riaan's post) before attempting 'nbdevconfig -creatests ....' again.

BRSDude
Not applicable

Hi,

I would check the following:

1. Make your NetBackup licenses for OST are valid and not expired.

2. VERIFY DNS (if using DNS) is correct and that forward and reverse lookups are working from both Data Domain, Master Server and Media Server.

3. Marianne's comment on bpstsinfo -pi: double check

I've often found that the majority of the OST to Data Domain issues are related to network name resolutions. Once those are solved: everything works as expected :^)

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Everthing was OK (licenses, plugin, network) but hosts qualified names (master.x.y and media.y.x) was defined in DNS and also in /etc/host.

By removing this qualified name in /etc/hosts, nbdevdevconfig runs successfully.

... but I don't know why when there is a (good) qualified name in /etc/hosts, some internal layers (CORBA, PBX ?) cannot communicate from the master back to the media, the result of the storage server creation ?

This lack of communication was the reason of the "cannot connect on socket" !

Marianne
Level 6

I have learned that if FQDN is defined ANYWHERE, it needs to be included EVERYWHERE....
That will include hosts entries on master, media server and DD. I have not yet been able to determine which part of the process flow is trying to use FQDN.