Did you mean: 

Cannot write backups

Alex_Korovin
Level 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Your tape alert code means: "09h Write protect. You are trying to write to a write protected cartridge. Remove the write protection or use another tape."

If you have more than one catridge type in your tape library, you have to make sure that they use different media types (for example, HCART2 and HCART3).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Alex_Korovin
Level 4
 Hello!

I have plugged in new tape library and have created new storage unit, but I can't write anything to new storage unit, our master is Solaris 10 with NetBackup 6.5.4. I'm receiving these errors in the message log:

Error for Command: write file mark Error Level: Fatal
 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice] Requested Block: 1000000000 Error Block: 1000000000
 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice] Vendor: STK Serial Number: .211  
 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice] Sense Key: Write Protected
 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice] ASC: 0x30 (cannot write medium - incompatible format), ASCQ: 0x5, FRU: 0x0
 bptm[22338]: [ID 866387 daemon.crit] TapeAlert Code: 0x09, Type: Critical, Flag: WRITE PROTECT, from drive XXXXXXXX (index 3), Media Id HXXXX 

Please help

Mouse
Your tape alert code means: "09h Write protect. You are trying to write to a write protected cartridge. Remove the write protection or use another tape."

If you have more than one catridge type in your tape library, you have to make sure that they use different media types (for example, HCART2 and HCART3).

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Is your media is write protected..

If you haven't intentionally done that then check the Write Protect key on your tape

Alex_Korovin
Level 4
 We have two types of T10000 drives in the library.

I will check it and return soon. 

Thanks for idea

Alex_Korovin
Level 4
Hi Deepak!

no, these tapes are scratch, brand new and not write-protected!

of course I had checked this before posting this question here! 

Mouse

Otherwise, NetBackup may try to use one type of drive to write another type of tape which can be incompatible.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Are you trying to write on a tape that the device only can read from. Let's say writing to a LTO1 cartridge on a LTO3 tape drive ?

What tape drives do you have , it must be some sort of Sun StorageTek drives I guess ......

Alex_Korovin
Level 4
thanks mouse, I have found what's going on.

it was T10000K type B cartridge in the T10000K type A drive and obviously they are incompatible,

what I did: as per your recommendation, I have created storage unit  for T10000 Type B drives with type "HCART" and another storage unit for T10000 type A drives with type "HCART3". 

thank you for advise

Alex_Korovin
Level 4
Yeap, it was like I had explained  above... but for T10000K A and B types of drives, we are not using LTO format