Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backup fails with error 213

Kamala_Kannan_M
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi 

In our environment the catalog backup is failing with below mentioned error. the backup is configured to Tape library, Tape library is configured as NDMP.

My question is can i backup my catalog to NDMP Based Tape library.

Can some body suggest how do i resolve this issue.

Regards

Kamal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

The tape library is still controlled by a media server (probably your master server). Have you assigned (zoned) some of those drives to the master server? If not, you need to. The master cannot send its data to the library via the NDMP host.

You probably have a different storage unit that is already configured that you need to use.

Post the output of

scan (Install Path\veritas\volmgr\bin)

tpconfig -l (Install Path\veritas\volmgr\bin)

bpstulist -U (Install Path\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd)

bppllist 'catalog backup policy name' -U (Install Path\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello

The tape library is still controlled by a media server (probably your master server). Have you assigned (zoned) some of those drives to the master server? If not, you need to. The master cannot send its data to the library via the NDMP host.

You probably have a different storage unit that is already configured that you need to use.

Post the output of

scan (Install Path\veritas\volmgr\bin)

tpconfig -l (Install Path\veritas\volmgr\bin)

bpstulist -U (Install Path\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd)

bppllist 'catalog backup policy name' -U (Install Path\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd)

Marianne
Level 6

NDMP devices can ONLY backup NDMP hosts.

As per Riaan's post, you need to connect drive(s) to the master server in order to backup catalogs or any other Standard or MS-Windows backups.

Kamala_Kannan_M
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Riaan and Marianne

Thanks for the reply. Customer is using Spectra make Tape library, which has 4 Tape drives. All 4 Tape drives are configured as NDMP Storage unit. This 4 Tape drives are also zoned with Master/Media Server.

When i try to create a different storage unit, 4 Tape drives and Robotic is displayed, In the device selection i see 4 drives are not selected (unused element address).

i am unable to create a different storage unit,

Is it possible to configure a tape library which are already configured as NDMP storage unit, as a NON NDMP Storage unit.

Sorry for my poor english

Thanks

Kamal

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Please post the scan command as requested. The unused element address is usually when NetBackup can't figure out how the drives relate to the locations in the robot. And that happens when the drives are not visible on a master (media) server.

Marianne
Level 6

... i am unable to create a different storage unit,

You need to first of all create tape devices for the master server before you can add a Storage Unit.

You have 2 choices:

Assign/zone dedicated drives for master and NAS server
(e.g. 1 tape drive to master and rest of drives to NAS server)

Zone all drives to both master and NAS server and configure drives as Shared. (SSO option is needed).

See this section in NBU for NDMP manual:

Using the Shared Storage Option (SSO)