cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backup to same tape as backup tape

nasahasha
Level 5

Hi,

We have one Master/media with library attached set up, Master/media has local disk too. We first take backups to local disk and then duplicate them to tapes for offsite.

My question here is for catalog backups, I set up catalog backup also to write to local disk first and then duplicate to tapes. I have not specified to use seperate tapes/volume pool for catalog backup duplication they use the same tapes/volume pool as backups.

Will using same tape/volume pool for regular backups and catalog backups have any issues with respect to recovery?

Netbackup version:7.6.0.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not a good idea IMHO. From the admin guide...

Strategies that ensure successful NetBackup catalog backups

Use the following strategies to ensure successful catalog backups:

• Use only the methods that are described in this chapter to back up the catalogs. These are the only methods that can track all relevant NetBackup activities and ensure consistency between the catalog files.

• Back up the catalogs often. If catalog backup files are lost, the changes that were made between the last catalog backup and the time of the disk crash are lost.

• If you back up your catalogs to disk (not recommended), always back up to a different disk than where the catalog files reside. If you back up the catalog to the disk where the actual catalog resides, both catalog backups are lost if the backup disk fails. Recovering the catalog is much more difficult. Also, ensure that the disk has enough space for the catalogs. Backups to a full disk fail.

Note: The catalog backup tape must be removed when the backup is finished or regular backups cannot proceed. NetBackup does not mix catalog and regular backups on the same tape.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RiaanBadenhorst

Not a good idea IMHO. From the admin guide...

Strategies that ensure successful NetBackup catalog backups

Use the following strategies to ensure successful catalog backups:

• Use only the methods that are described in this chapter to back up the catalogs. These are the only methods that can track all relevant NetBackup activities and ensure consistency between the catalog files.

• Back up the catalogs often. If catalog backup files are lost, the changes that were made between the last catalog backup and the time of the disk crash are lost.

• If you back up your catalogs to disk (not recommended), always back up to a different disk than where the catalog files reside. If you back up the catalog to the disk where the actual catalog resides, both catalog backups are lost if the backup disk fails. Recovering the catalog is much more difficult. Also, ensure that the disk has enough space for the catalogs. Backups to a full disk fail.

Note: The catalog backup tape must be removed when the backup is finished or regular backups cannot proceed. NetBackup does not mix catalog and regular backups on the same tape.

rookie11
   VIP   

stop taking backup of catalog on disk first. simply put catalog backup on a different tape. create a new catalog policy using catalog policy wizard (GUI). Its very easy to create policy using this wizard option in GUI.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the catalog resides on tape, the volume pool for the tapes should be definded as the Catalog volume pool  - demonstration that catalog backups are not meant to be mixed with normal data.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Or much better - backup the catalog to NFS sahre area on another server, in another datacentre.

Catalog restore are complicated - by using a basic disk type you cut off but of the trouble re-creating storage units before catalog restore can be initiated.

nasahasha
Level 5

If you back up your catalogs to disk (not recommended), always back up to a different disk than where the catalog files reside. If you back up the catalog to the disk where the actual catalog resides, both catalog backups are lost if the backup disk fails. Recovering the catalog is much more difficult. Also, ensure that the disk has enough space for the catalogs. Backups to a full disk fail.

I am backing up catalog to other disk, catalog doesnt reside on that disk, I am backing it up to different disk but on same server. After backing it up to disk I am duplicating it to tape and that tape contains duplicated regular backups too.

In case of crash/disaster, I may want to recover it from tape, Can I use this tape which has both duplicated catalog backup and regular backup?

nasahasha
Level 5

I want to clarify onething about disk, We use HP MDS600 storage attached to media server and when I say backup to disk I was talking about MDS600 storage, Is taking catalog backups to MDS600 storage is also not recommended?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

How do you have the disk configured - Adnaced/ Basic Disk ???

nasahasha
Level 5

MSDP disk

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You will likely find this T/N interesting to know:

How to recover NetBackup Catalog from an MSDP pool.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173220

You need to think what  impact the loss of MDS600 will cause. Will both the NBU catalog, the NBU catalog backup and the MSDP pool get lost ?

If all 3 has a yes the catalog backup need to go to some other disk, preferable on another server.

You also need to think about the catalog recovery process. I think you can restore from the duplicated copy (I need verification) but the trouble getting there may be to big for a effective recovery process. Catalog recovery is not just a "next next next finish" operation.

Update: Restore from non-primary catalog backup are supported

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125784

Marianne
Level 6

Please read through this section of SLP Best Practice Guide

Considerations when using SLPs with Catalog Backups

You need to ensure that the pool used for duplication is a 'catalog backup' pool.
See the other TNs that are also referenced in this section.

Also, please consider using basic disk for catalog backups (e.g. network share as per Nicolai's suggestion) or direct to tape.
You are going to battle to recover catalog from MSDP disk or from duplicate copy on tape - especially when non-catalog pool was used.