cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing infrastructure

Pep3r
Level 2

Hello

I'm preparing for some changes in my backup infrastructure based on NetBackup.

Current solution: physical server with Windows Server 2003 operating system, NetBackup 6.5 (with all roles: master and media), library, tape drives and diskcaches.

I would like to achieve something like this:

- new virtual mashine with windows server 2008 and netbackup7. It will acts as master server only. 

- physical server with windows server 2008 and netbackup7. It will operates as media server.

I have read some documentation and there is my idea for steps, that are needed:

1. upgrade netbackup from 6.5 to 7 on physical server 

2. hot catalog backup

3. turn off physical server

4. creation of new virtual mashine with windows server 2008 and netbackup7. Host name and IP must be the same, like on the turned off physical server

5. recovery catalog on VM

6. installation of windows 2008 and netbackup7 on physical server as a media server (connected to master server located on VM). Physical server needs new host name and IP.

7. Additionaly, installation of OPSCenter on VM

Is this plan ok? What more should I do to make this migration successfully?  

Regards

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think you will need this tech note before you can execute step 5

DOCUMENTATION: How to create a blank NetBackup NBDB database for the recovery of the NetBackup NBDB database from an online catalog backup in case of corruption or failure

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48469

If the link bring you to the product main page - go back and click link again.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You have to run "bpmedia -movedb -m media_id -newserver new_physical_server -oldserver new_virtual_server" for each media. The master is new setup and almost blank, so I think you don't have to recreate blank NBDB.

Pep3r
Level 2

Hello

Thank you for spending some time thinking of my configuration :).

Are you sure that bpmedia -movedb is nessesary?

According to  Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume I:

"The catalog consists of the following parts:

NetBackup data that is stored in relational database files.
The data includes media and volume data describing media usage and volume
information, which is used during the backups."

it is also known as Enterprise Media manager database (emm). In my opinion restoring catalog on new Master Server will recreate all Volume Pools and media. Is this true?

Anyway, it will be impossible(?) to use bpmedia -movedb because I have only one pysical server, which will be fully reinstalled with new operating system. This command requires two servers to be online during this operation...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Restoring the EMM database will also recreate volume pools and media information, but Yasuhisa has point. When you restore the media information on the master server, all restores will point to the master server because it's the owner of the media. You need to to bpmedia -movedb for restores to take place at the media server after you recover the catalog.

If possible, you might consider to do the catalgo backup to disk insted of tape when you do the conversion. Parsing tape devices on VM's might be a issue.

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

0. Run HotCatalog backup of old production environment.

1. Upgrade old/physical master to NBU7, Run HotCatalog backup.

2. Assuming you cannot bring your DSU with images into vmware. Stage needed Disk-images to Tape. 

3. Delete your Disk images using AdminGUI (now on tape), below "Catalog" on left hand side in GUI.

4. Mark all Tapes in GUI and move them to StandAlone.

5. Delete Tape-STU, Tapedrives and TapeLibrary. (you cant attach it to a virtual server).

6. Configure a DSU for your Catalog. (use same path/driveletter as in your new VM).

7. Run HotCatalog Backup, Keep and Copy Backup-Images and DR_files outside old master.

8. Pull old master out of AD, turn it off.

9. Start new virtual master, join domain using same as old master hostname.

10. Install NBU7 master and configure a DSU using same path/driveletter as in p.6.

11.  Copy your files from p.7 to same location, Run Catalog Recovery using GUI....  If fails with : 

" For the database files which were to be recovered to /usr/openv/db/staging/, the following error message was printed:        "not in the true image list - skipping"  "

Don't panic but run this command for the EMM Database recovery   # bprecover -r –nbdb

12. Check recovered configuration.  (before reinstalling old/physical master).

13 Install physical NBU media server and add to NBU environment.

14. Configure Tape-Resources and do an Inventory.

15. Mark Tapes in GUI and change owner to the media server or any. (no need of bp.... ).

16. Now, if this went allright in your LAB.......repeat step above in your production environment.

#  Remember to add the new mediaserver as media/-server to your clients, ortherwise the new mediaserver will not have access to your clients.