cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check if a backup image has a duplication copy

David_V_NL
Level 3

Hello,

We are planning to upgrade and expand our datadomain 880, and before we upgrade i would like to check if all the backups made to the datadomain have a duplication copy on tape.

We use Netbackup 7.1 and use SLP's to duplicate the backup we make to tape.

My Question: how can I check if the backupimages have a duplication copy on tape. For example: Is there a command wich shows the backup image on the datadomain and then and copy is yes.

Any help would be appreciated.

David (the netherlands)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ah - probably a little more manual then!

Go to the catalog - do a full date range search against Copy1

CTL-C the results - drop in excel on first tab

Change selection to Copy2 - do the same and paste on second tab

Select image ID column from first excel tab and past in tab 3

Do same for second tab and paste in next column on tab 3

Spot the difference! (sure there is a command or something else that does this but I guess you know what I am getting at!)

Sure someone will come back with something smoother but hope this helps

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you use SLPs it is easy

All you have to do is check for any SLPs that are not complete (which means they have not yet been duplicated)

On the Master Server run:

netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbstlutil stlilist -image_incomplete -l

Hope this helps

David_V_NL
Level 3

Hello Mark,

Thank  you for your quick reply, i tried the command and saw the images that had still to be duplicated from last night.

It's a step in the right direction but i think i forgot some extra information in my question.

Because we had a lot of robotic and tape drive troubles we had to cancel alot of duplications a few months ago. It could be that alot of those images have already expired, but i don't know for sure. So i would like to check if all the images in the whole backupimage list, wich is still protected on the datadomain have a copy on tape.

I forget to mention that we cancelled alot of duplications, sorry about that.

David

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ah - probably a little more manual then!

Go to the catalog - do a full date range search against Copy1

CTL-C the results - drop in excel on first tab

Change selection to Copy2 - do the same and paste on second tab

Select image ID column from first excel tab and past in tab 3

Do same for second tab and paste in next column on tab 3

Spot the difference! (sure there is a command or something else that does this but I guess you know what I am getting at!)

Sure someone will come back with something smoother but hope this helps

David_V_NL
Level 3

Hello mark,

I'll try the excel option but your right that a smoother option is more preferable.

I was looking more in the line like the name of the backup image and then a note duplicate copy exist yes or no.

Maybe someone will have a good command for this.

Thank you very much for you input

David

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - how about this:

If you promote all Copy 2 (tape backups to be Primary) and the do a search against all Copy 1 images

Any Copy 1 that are primary are not on tape

Does that help pin it down?

You can always change all of the Copy 1's back to Primary afterwards

David_V_NL
Level 3

Hello mark,

I think this could be an option i could try.

There are thousands and thousands of backup images in the databse, its no problem if i do a mass update? I would not like to be in danger of loosing data or corrupting something.

I'll have a think about it on the weekend and see what i can do next week.

David

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok - you should be fine - if concerned then do them in batches or write a script to do them one at a time

I am assuming you are on Windows (or have a Windows Admin Console PC to do this on - if on Unix you will need to script it in a similar way) so here goes:

If you run the search in the catalog section for all copy 2 and copy / paste out all the ones that are not already primary, then drop just the image names into a text file named images.txt (so each image is on a new line - just like you will get it when copying and pasting the column from excel) then make a .bat file named promote.txt and put it in the same directory as the text file.

In the promote.bat file put (this is just two lines - make sure the installation path is as per your system and edit the Master Server name to that of your master):

for /f %%a in (images.txt) do "c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpchangeprimary" -copy 2 -id %%a -M masterservername

pause

What this does is make the copy 2 of the specified image name as the primary copy.

As this churns through the list one at a time it shouldn't give you any issues and will take the manual labour out if it

I have added the pause at the end so that if the command is wrong it keeps the window open for you to see.

Try it out with just a couple of image IDs to see if you are happy with it first

Hope this helps

David_V_NL
Level 3

Hello mark,

I put the backup image information into an excel, the copy 1 and copy 2 backup image info side by side, sort on backup image name and have excel compare the backup names on the same line.

With a little preperation it worked very well. (but still a command saying if a backupimage has another copy would be the best)

example:

backup image copy prim. Copy backup image name from copy  copy prim copy  =A2=D1

<machinename>_1320447685 1 Yes <machinename>_1320447685 2 No True