cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Dell Tape Drives

Colin_North
Level 6
Hi Guys,
I have two Dell PV132T tape libraries/robots, each has two Dell PV110T LTO2 tape drives. I just wanted to know what is the best way to clean the tape drives?

Either:

1) Software - from within Netbackup (right click relevant tape drive > drive cleaning > clean now)

OR

2) Hardware - Use the relevant menu option from within the tape libraries?

In my Netbackup Admin Console the drives are set up for TapeAlert (not sure what this is) and have no cleaning frequency set.

In previous jobs where I have used Netbackup I have seen messages in the relevant servers event log stating that a tape drive needs cleaning.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Colin.
3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I prefer software way because we can clean drive from remote site - without looking small LCD, without pushing small button, without learning about their own remote console.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
> In my Netbackup Admin Console the drives are set up
> for TapeAlert (not sure what this is) and have no
> cleaning frequency set.
>
TapeAlert was initially an initiative driven by HP and now regardless of any LTO tape drive from HP, IBM or Seagate, all supports TapeAlert. And in tape cleaning perspective, TapeAlert is supported by NB so that when the drive need cleaning, NB would get notify and mount the cleaning tape to the require drive whenever necessary. No manual intervention nor setting of frequency-based cleaning is needed.

Colin_North
Level 6
Thanks for your advice on TapeAlert - I will check that out.

Colin.