cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up large vault session log directories

elanmbx
Level 6

In an effort to reduce disk use on my NetBackup filesystem I'm looking into cleaning up my vault logs.  The vast majority of the space in my session directories is taken up by the detail.log.  My thought was simply to compress all the detail.log files older than 90 days...

Does Vault use the old detail.log for anything in its processing?  If not, I can't think of any reason not to do this.  Any insight would be appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

elanmbx
Level 6

I'm going to give this a shot and compress the detail logs... if anyone knows of any reasons why this would not be a good idea, please let me know!

Thanks!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"My thought was simply to compress all the detail.log files older than 90 days..."

What is configured in Host Properties under Clean-up -> Keep logs ?

The default is 28 days.

elanmbx
Level 6

We're keeping logs for a full year.  I seem to recall there being a reason to keep them as long as the retention period of our standard backup images... but can't remember the details right now.

watsons
Level 6

Since it's your business/operation requirement, can't find any reason to say NO.. as long as you have sufficient diskspace to keep those.

detail.log is the best log for checking vault session processing. Sometimes I find it is similar to the one in /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/vault , but detail.log would be better for housekeeping as it is more structured (in the sense that it ties with each session ID).