Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client install Checking to see if the PDDE configuration needs upgrading hang

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Hello

The of install Netbackup 7.5 client on AIX 7.1 hangs on Checking to see if the PDDE configuration needs upgrading

Have found a technote regarding siilar issue on HP-UX which caused by automount being on, checked and automount (cdromd) was not running on the AIX machine

There is a firewall between the master and the AIX machine

Has somebody seen something like this ?

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue
40 REPLIES 40

Matt-D
Level 2

Not sure if this might be a red herring here. On a TL2 system I get exactley the same.

oslevel -s:
7100-02-03-1334

>ldd /usr/openv/pdde/pdag/bin/.bin/pdcfg
/usr/openv/pdde/pdag/bin/.bin/pdcfg needs:
Cannot find libz.so
Cannot find libssl.so
Cannot find libcrypto.so
         /usr/lib/libpthread.a(shr_xpg5_64.o)
Cannot find libcurl.so
Cannot find libxml2.so
Cannot find libACE.so
Cannot find libACE_SSL.so
Cannot find libssh2.so
Cannot find libdct.so
Cannot find libfc.so
Cannot find libcr.so
Cannot find libmetab.so
Cannot find libpd.so
Cannot find libpuredisk++.so
Cannot find libfsysora.so
Cannot find libstdc++.a(libstdc++.so.6)
Cannot find libgcc_s.a(shr.o)
         /usr/lib/libc.a(shr_64.o)
         /unix
         /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr_64.o)

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Seems some of the issue is the relative paths used in setting LIBPATH

Example with absolute paths

# echo $LIBPATH

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/openv/pdde/pdshared/lib

#

# ldd pdcfg

pdcfg needs:

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libz.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libssl.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libcrypto.so

/usr/lib/libpthread.a(shr_xpg5_64.o)

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libcurl.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libxml2.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libACE.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libACE_SSL.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libssh2.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdshared/lib/libdct.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdshared/lib/libfc.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdshared/lib/libcr.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdshared/lib/libmetab.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdshared/lib/libpd.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdshared/lib/libpuredisk++.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdshared/lib/libfsysora.so

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libstdc++.a(libstdc++.so.6)

/usr/openv/pdde/pdopensource/lib/libgcc_s.a(shr.o)

/usr/lib/libc.a(shr_64.o)

/usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_xpg5_64.o)

/unix

/usr/lib/libxti.a(shr_64.o)

/usr/lib/libiconv.a(shr4_64.o)

/usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr_64.o)

/usr/lib/libc.a(pse_64.o)

Matt can you confirm on your TL2 system ?

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

John_Hink
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

This is a known issue and engineering is currently working on it with IBM. The newest AIX TLs (6.1 TL9 and 7.1 TL3) have a problem with the libACE shipped with the MSDP component and when libACE is initilized it results in the proccess hang.  Note this does not apply to the previous AIX TL's. Short term, the recommended workaround is to use the previous TL. Hopefully IBM will be able to help identify what changed in the new TLs caused this issue.  I'll be sure to update this thread when I get more information.  

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is a known issue .....

My favourite response from Support........... After wasting LOTS of time testing, searching Symantec knowledge base, forums, looking at logs, documentation.... 
And then to hear: 
This is a known issue  ... 

Thanks for letting us know!

John_Hink
Level 3

I certainly can sympathize with you there. But let me ensure you this was very recently discovered. As I said, we are working with IBM to  resolve this problem as quickly as possible. 

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have suggested that a tech note is created so customer can subscribe and see when the issue is solved. Might already have happened, must admit I havn't checked

smond
Level 2

Encountered the same issue.

Logged a case and was advised that as the AIX machine is a client with no media server capability, to use NBU7.6 with a workaround.

# touch /tmp/PDDE_SKIP_PACKAGE_SCRIPTS

will allow the installation to complete, but will not allow the server to be used as an MSDP server, nor use client-direct or PDDE storage units..

As for a tech note to check when it is resolved,

There is an internal tech note available for this issue but until the joint team of IBM and Symantec engineering finds root cause, this article will still remain as internal. I would recommend that you check below link from time to time to see if article becomes publicly available which would mean root cause is found.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH214505

Currently this link has no content.

Pascal2
Not applicable

I confirm I have the same problem with AIX 6.1 TL9 SP1.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Does that mean 7.6 does not work either ?

ask as the first suggestion from support was to install the 7.6 Client on our AIX7.1TL3 machine

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Done a little more checking and can see some of the libraries for pdde is back from AIX 5.3A/5.3L

Seems to me some of the problem is that Symantec does not recompile the client software at major AIX version e.g. 6.1 & 7.1

smond
Level 2

If you are referring to full functionality of NBU7.6 client, it does not work.

However, it is good enough for me as I would only need to backup the AIX client flat files directly to tapes at this time.
Backup and restore tests directly to tapes looks to be working.

irnltd
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

I'm unable to install NBU7.6 master server on AIX7.1 TL3 SP1 for the same reason (pdcfg hangs).

There is no warning in support matrix and customer is not willing to reinstall AIX with lower TL...

Any chance for timely solution?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Unfortunately don't really get much in the way of update on my Support case.

My best offer is to create a support case too, if you have not already. Think the more customers create cases on this problem the more attention Symantec gives it

And in the mean time just kill the pdcfg processes so your customer can run backup/restore on their AIX 7.1TL3 clients, albeit without client deduplication

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Michael, are you insisting on feedback from Backline and/or Engineering?

Maybe all of you should exchange case #'s via PM and submit to your respective case engineers.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

I try to insist on getting some feedback and I am getting this:

==========================================SNIP ============================

At this point of time we don’t have much more details except below.

1.      Issue is somewhat with the AIX OS platform architecture.

2.      NO fault from NBU perspective.

3.      IBM to share their inputs & work together with Symantec to find a mutual solution on this issue. Engineering Team is on it.

4.      For more you could verify TSAnet call ref PMR 70884,003,756. Next steps are determined by the outcome of this ticket.

==================================END SNIP ================================

Have stated that I think point 2 is not entirely correct as Symantec has not recompiled the client software at the major AIX releases 6.1 & 7.1

My case is 05899237

John_Hink
Level 3

Hi everybody, here's an update:

This will be fixed in 7.6.0.2. You will have to touch /tmp/PDDE_SKIP_PACKAGE_SCRIPTS  to complete the 7.6.0.1 install and then apply the 7.6.0.2 patch. 

There will also be an EEB solution for the meantime. Look for TECH214505 to be published by friday (3/14/) with additional details. 

RichardA
Level 2

Hi,

I have run into the same issue with upgrading a NetBackup Master Server from 7.5.0.6 to 7.5.0.7 while running on AIX 6.1 TL9. (I currently have cases open for this too)

Will this fix be rolled out for server upgrades as well as client upgrades? Also will it be rolled out for the 7.5.0.x version as well as the 7.6.0.x version?

The reason I ask is that I am dealing with a bpdbm issue that requires an EEB that Backline/Engineering have developed for 7.5.0.7 to be rolled out.

Thanks

CRZ
Level 6

Will this fix be rolled out for server upgrades as well as client upgrades? Also will it be rolled out for the 7.5.0.x version as well as the 7.6.0.x version?

Yes and yes, but you'll still need to work it via a support case, I think.  Since you already have one open, ask your TSE to check out the TechNote John has mentioned above (TECH214505) and they should be able to help you get to 7.5.0.7 right now...or escalate it if not.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

For AIX 7.1 there is APAR IV56004 which should solve this when the fix is released

John_Hink
Level 3

Please check out TECH214505 here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH214505

It has all the information and the download links for the IBM iFixes. 

I still stongly suggest you upgrade to 7.6.0.2 (when available) before any further IBM TL updates are applied as there is no guarantee the IBM fix will be in the next TL.