cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client name not found in db/client folder & db_CLIENT() failed: no entity was found (227)bpclient: no entity was found (227)

Stiva
Level 4

Hi All,

I have one doubt. Recently I was working on bpclient command to update connnect options for one of the client server but it was giving me error "db_CLIENT() failed: no entity was found (227)bpclient: no entity was found (227)". After reviewing some technotes I resolved this issue using below command.

bpclient -client <clientname> -add -current_hostname <clientname>

I was successfully added the client then was able to update connect options.

So my doubt is I have seen many clients which are giving me above error and also I am not able to locate them in "/usr/openv/netbackup/db/client/<server name>/"(contains host.info file) but they are gettting backed up successfully.

If server is getting backed successfully then why it's not updated in /db/client folder?  Why I am not able to find it using bpclient command? Is it a catch with some client or reboot(Master/Media/client hosts) is required to update entries?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As I have tried to explain - clients in Policy database does not update/populate the database under db/clients. If there are any attributes that you want to specify for a client (such as WOFB, max jobs, client offline, etc), then you need to add client either with bpclient command or in the GUI under Client Attributes. There is no need for clients to exist in this db for backups to work. NBU will use default connect options, default WOFB options, global max jobs, etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
The client database is totally separate from client names that are in policy database. If you open the GUI, select Host Properties -> Master -> Client Attributes you will see the client names that you have added with bpclient command. This client db is empty on a new master and does draw client names from policy database. You need to add client names here and then specify custom options per client.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes, it is quite normal to find sites where most, if not all, clients do not have any attributes configured.

However, I like to make it part of the client commissioning process, so I always create a client attributes entry for every client, virtual or physical... so that I have fine control over job count and especially the VSS settings for Windows clients - and so that I can pause (offline) clients when I need to.

I'd be curious to know what other admins do.  Does anyone else always create Client Attribute entries, for all clients?

Stiva
Level 4

Still I am confused here. Suppose I have one policy which contains 2 clients and both are getting successfully backed up.

Now my doubt is when I am trying to list the client attributes using command --> bpclient -client <ClientName> -L

For client 1 its showing me the attributes but for client 2, I am gettting error --> bpclient: no entity was found (227)

So how it's possible that it's working for one client not for other?

How exactly /db/client directory gets updated for client config? 

Marianne
Level 6
As I have tried to explain - clients in Policy database does not update/populate the database under db/clients. If there are any attributes that you want to specify for a client (such as WOFB, max jobs, client offline, etc), then you need to add client either with bpclient command or in the GUI under Client Attributes. There is no need for clients to exist in this db for backups to work. NBU will use default connect options, default WOFB options, global max jobs, etc.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Clients have two sets of "settings"

1) The first is known as "Client Properties", and these are saved on the client (bp.conf, or registry).  All clients have "Properties".

2) The second is known as "Client Attributes", and these are saved on the Master Server (in /db/client).  *Not* all clients have "Attributes".

Stiva
Level 4

Now I got the actual difference. Thanks Marrianne and sdo.

Both the comments are useful..