cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients with direct attached drive or library

Shoghi
Level 3

Hi to all, perhaps this has been asked before but...

I cannot find any specific documentation about how to use a direct attached tape drive in a client to use for that client backups, I have read the SAN client documentation but it is all about to use a the SAN as transport.

We have some big Windows file servers and some big Oracle databases and we want to know if we can share a tape library between hosts, we also have some unix servers with internal direct attached tape drives.

Do I have to promote the clients to media servers to uses thoses direct attached or SAN mapped tapes/libraries? 

Maybe I missed something on the documentation...

Right now we are using LAN based backup for all our clients, using 2 media servers.

We are using NB 7.6

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes, you can promote them to media servers. The topic you are looking for is San Media Server. This involves installing and configuring the client as media server that will only backup itself. If you have host based licensing, you will need Enterprise Client license that is tier based. If you will be sharing tape drives, you will need SSO (shared storage option) license - 1 per shared drive.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Yes, you can promote them to media servers. The topic you are looking for is San Media Server. This involves installing and configuring the client as media server that will only backup itself. If you have host based licensing, you will need Enterprise Client license that is tier based. If you will be sharing tape drives, you will need SSO (shared storage option) license - 1 per shared drive.

Shoghi
Level 3

Thanks Marianne, we are capacity-based licensed

Are those media servers requiering an specific configuration or are just normal media server?

Where can we find more information about SSO? which admin guide?

Marianne
Level 6

Perfect! Your Capacity license allows all agents and options.

Use the same capacity license key when you install NBU server software. No special config, but adding devices and media server software requires cpu and memory to read data and write to tape drives simultaneously.

You also want to ensure that tape and disk are zoned to different hba's. Configure Storage Units as 'On demand only'.

SSO is covered in NBU Admin Guide II. Good luck!

Shoghi
Level 3

Thanks Marianne!!!