Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud Hosting for Symantec Netbackup

topenibaba
Level 2
Partner Accredited

All,

Please I need an urgent information about how to go about hosting symantec netbackup on a cloud infrastructure. I have a client that does not have a server to host netbackup in his environment and wants me to host the solution on my cloud infrastructure while he remotely connects to the cloud server and controls his backup.

I need to know how possible it is and different approach to getting this done for the customer.

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Have you looked in the Cloud admin guide ?

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Cloud Administrator's Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5190

I don't think it's possible unless you use some sort of VPN to ensure communication channels. Furthermore name resolution is also a issue.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I agree with Nicolai.

The NBU Cloud documentation is only for configuring approved storage vendors stoarge to your own NBU environment via an OST plugin.

The only way I see you are going to do this, is to set up a NBU environment on your site and treat the customers servers as offsite clients.

I would image that a dedicated netwrok between you and your customer would be required, I can image that a VPN would cause all sorts of issues.

Martin

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

you have two big challanges, bandwidth and security, how you handle this two is key for your success, but Nicalai recommendation is for real the first step.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Encryption does not secure the installation alone - but it's a step in the right direction.  I found this while studing Netbackup 7.5 de-duplication admin guide - Page 36:

About deduplication encryption

NetBackup provides encryption for the deduplicated data. It is separate from and
different than NetBackup policy-based encryption. By default, deduplication
encryption is disabled.
Symantec recommends that you use deduplication encryption.
The following is the behavior for the encryption that occurs during the
deduplication process:
■ If you enable encryption on a client that deduplicates its own data, the client
encrypts the data before it sends it to the storage server. The data remains
encrypted on the storage.
Data also is transferred from the client over a Secure Sockets Layer to the
server regardless of whether or not the data is encrypted. Therefore, data
transfer from the clients that do not deduplicate their own data is also
protected.
■ If you enable encryption on a load balancing server, the load balancing server
encrypts the data. It remains encrypted on storage.
■ If you enable encryption on the storage server, the storage server encrypts
the data. It remains encrypted on storage. If the data is already encrypted, the
storage server does not encrypt it.
Deduplication uses the Blowfish algorithm for encryption.