cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compressed catalog on Windows platform

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In an installation of NBU, the catalog was compressed after 90 days, but as the disk space was extended, the need for compression was removed.
We set away to run bpimage -decompress -allclients. As this is on the Windows platform, NBU only clear the FILES_FILE_COMPRESSED entry (zero value). The actual FILES file remains compressed as NBU uses Windows' NTFS compression.

We followed the HOWTO technote: Uncompressing the NetBackup catalog (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO34467).
Additional information in HOWTO technote: About image catalog compression on Windows (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO34441#v41242926)

But the FILES files remain compressed. So, we thought that if we use a catalog backup, we would get uncompressed files, but it seems that NBU
honours the compress attribute upon restore, and compress the files again.

Before I open support case, I thought I would ask in this forum if this has been seen before, and if so, if there is a workaround or solution.

/A

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

I don't believe the catalog backup will uncompress if it does a backup, it will just take it and place it on tape in the state that its in.

I'm not certain of this but have you tried to browse restores for a client? Check if (the specific client's folder in /db/images) after the browse operation the files are uncompressed, i think they might just be.

Hi,

Done some more checking on this. You say the files remain compressed, where are you getting that from? Are the C bits still set if you check on the attributes tab in Windows Explorer?

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, in Windows explorer the files are marked blue, and the attribute is still set to compressed.

But I will try tomorrow to use BAR to browse a client, and see whether the files become uncompressed.

/A