cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression

suporte
Level 2
Hello guys,

I accidentally deleted a policy which was backuping a Lotus Notes Server (Linux Redhat 2.4).
I created another policy but I noticed that the elapsed time has been reduce to 4 hours (the old one used to take ~9hours) and the backup had 28GB less than the previous policy.
I did some research and I´ve found that the software compression was enabled in the previous policy and there is a list called "Dot not compress files ending with" (page 375 of Netbackup 6.0 Admin guide).
I did a pretend restore to verify if there was no missing folders between the the previous policy and the new policy and they were the same.
My question is: How do I know if this server had these files that shouldnt be compressed or if there are no missing files?
Is there a list with these files?

If this helps, this server has a lot of .nsf files (Lotus Notes databases).
2 REPLIES 2

suporte
Level 2
I have just marked the option Compression again on the Policy and it wrote with that "losts 28GB", so probably these files were already compressed and doing it again, increased the size of the backup.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
(& working proof) for those questions we get about compression & what to expect when you compress a file that's already compressed.

Thanks for the update & I presume you are now comfortable that no damage has been done by accidentally deleting the policy!

As an aside, you should be able to restore such a deleted policy from your last catalog backup (can be found in <install_path>/netbackup/db/class). In the BAR GUI, just ensure you choose the correct source & destination client & a policy type for restores of NBU_Catalog.