cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration SAN Client and media SAN

yaosergekouame
Level 3

Hello,

My VTL is connected Directly on the media server by FC, and the media is also connected on the HP SAN swicth like the clients servers for making the Backup by SAN. I would like to know the process for do it ?

The media is already installed and used actually for backup by LAN ethernet, the version OS of media is SUSE Enterprise 10 SP2 (x80_64)

The client to be add for the moment used the OS Red Hat Enterprise Release 6.2

I need to install the NBU client software on the client server ?

How can i process ?

Thank you

12 REPLIES 12

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Attached the document; hope it could guide you the best way!

Some pointer: (refer the doc for details)

1. NetBackup version should be 7.x & above. NBU 6.5.x not recommended as it has reached End Of Support Lifecylce.
  2. For media server to work as FT media host, it should be either Solarix/Linux 64 bit
  3. Qlogic HBA is mandatory for setting up FT target.
  4. Zone the SAN client HBA and FT target.
  5. NBU client software need to be installed and SAN backup has to be enabled (bpclntcmd -sanclient 1)
  6. You may use any HBA for san client

yaosergekouame
Level 3

Hello, i have follow your document.

i use the HP SAN switch and find below the configration of SAN switch port, the first port "Archive Python " is for the media server afnet and the "Hewlett Packard" for the NBU SAN Client

san1.JPG

Actually on the NBU console, we could see that FT of the media server bak-media-afnet is activate, normally and the port connect to the SAN switch is on target mode

san2_0.JPG

the daemons nbftsrvr and nbftsrvr64 is running

san3.JPG

Now the client SAN port is on Initiator mode, the SAN client service is enable ./bpclntcmd -sanclient 1 and start with ./bp.start_all

after reboot all machine (media afnet, master server and NBU SAN client) on ly media afnet

san4.JPG

1- The SAN Client must be on the target mode ? actually it is on the Initiator

2- The configuration on SAN Switch is correct ?

3- Have I forget something ?

Thank

yaosergekouame
Level 3

The decive name of HBA card is  [[43] "HPAE311A FW:v5.06.02 DVR:v8.03.07.05.06.2-k"]
NBU can support this card ?

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

The configuration on SAN Switch is correct ?

-- Do you see "Archive Python Squential SCSI device" discovered in the client. It yes then SAN zoning is correct.

The SAN Client must be on the target mode ? actually it is on the Initiator

--SAN client HBA ports must be always in INITIATOR. Best practice is to zone each Initiator port is zoned to all FT target ports, individually.

yaosergekouame
Level 3

Hello, my problem is still there about the SAN config.

So if i have good understand the Media SAN must be on the Target mode and the Client SAN on Iniator mode. Actually this is my present achitecture but i cannot always see the client on the NBU system.

Dera rizwan84tx i have not see "Archive Python Squential SCSI device" discovered in the client. it display [43] "HPAE312A FW:v5.06.02 DVR:v8.03.07.05.06.2-k"

What can i do, the installation and configuration of HBA clien is Bad ?

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Hi yaosergekouame,

as u asked "Configuration SAN Client and media SAN"

If i understand your query correctly ....then you want to know how to configure SAN Media & SAN Client ..

Is that correct ??

yaosergekouame
Level 3

Yes especially SAN client configure and how to add the driver HBA card

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

For SAN client you need FT media server ...

FT media is already implemented or now you will implement ??

let us know what you want to achive by  SAN Client / FT media ?

why u not focusing on SAN Media ?

b'coz FT Media / SAN client is most expensive solutions & lot more h/w cost is involved & hence  b4 suggesting any, we need to know complete details.

yaosergekouame
Level 3

FT media is already implemented and enable refer to the picture 

san2_0.JPG

i want to archive the some path of database such as dbf of sql server,  dmp, log file of oracle or some repertory.

Now my problem is that after try to configure the HBA add it on the SAN swicth, i cannot the SAN Client on the NBU, i want to know the detail how can add the new SAN Client on NBU from the HBA Config on the Client server to NBU via the SAN Config.

I hope you get me.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

OS on SAN client is supported for this ???

http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288437

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Sorry for the late reply. First that i would suspect is the zoning, make sure that one client-server HBA is zoned to all FT target HBAs. If your zonning is correct, check the FC port is up and it's speed is set as same as FT target port and last option would be to change the HBA and try.