cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure a media server at a DR site to be promoted to a master server Netbackup 6

Andy_Welcomer
Level 3
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to setup a media server at our DR site, that we will promote to a master server in a DR situation.  I've found white papers that only glaze over concept, I was wondering is there a good techincal resource for this setup?  Has anyone set it up?

thank you in advance,

andy
4 REPLIES 4

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I doubt if you can convert media server into master server using cluster software. I believe it's impossible, first of all because changing the name of master server is
1. Manual
2. Complicated
3. Requires engagement of Symantec Consultings
... and thus is not applicable for DR situations

Andy_Welcomer
Level 3
Hello and thank you for the reply74.125.93.132/search

This doesn't involve changing the name. its pomoting to a master server.  Its avalable with 6.0MP5 and up.

Here is the link to the white paper

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:A9i-Mf11yncJ:eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_implementing_highly_available_dr_with_veritas_netbackup_01_08_13599373.pdf+Netbackup+6.0+media+server+promotion&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I have had a setup like this three years ago.

We made a test of our DR plan and found that time to recover of this type of setup is almost the same as just recovery of Master Server from image + catalog recovery at another site...

I believe this is the main reason why this setup is not so popular (among another limitations of course)

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I read the same paper and yes it does glaze over it with no real instructions.

I chose to go the route of  Recovery without Import - that one I found a paper on how to set it up, but took a lot of looking.

but I could not find it either - must be buried withing the manual somewhere.