cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying data from site to site using a tape import

spitman
Level 5

I have a user that wants to copy a large amount of data from one of our other sites to our site.I was thinking they could back it up to tape via NetBackup, ship it, and we could import the tape when it gets here. Am I on the right track? What gotchas do I need to look out for? Here's the questions I'm thinking off the top of my head:

1. Do they use encryption?
2. Will the data there be backed up NDMP? (It will be restored NDMP when it gets here; and if not we'll have to mount a directory and do it that way, gah...

3. What version of netbackup do they have at the other site (if it's close, does this matter?)

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Indeed, you may have restrictions around whether you are legally allowed to ship unencrypted tape media.

2. Will the data there be backed up NDMP? (It will be restored NDMP when it gets here; and if not we'll have to mount a directory and do it that way, gah...

NDMP is a carrier protocol only - and not a storage format - so NDMP can only ever be restored to exactly the same family, and sometimes to only the same version... e.g. you cannot restore a NetApp sourced NDMP backup to a VNX.

3. What version of netbackup do they have at the other site (if it's close, does this matter?)

As long as the target is same or higher (i.e. as long as source is same or lower) then you should be ok.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6

1. If encrypted then you need the key to be able to restore

2. NDMP can only restore to like device, not to a mountpoint

3. Ideally same version but that's not as much a hurdle as 1. and 2. above

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Indeed, you may have restrictions around whether you are legally allowed to ship unencrypted tape media.

NDMP is a carrier protocol only - and not a storage format - so NDMP can only ever be restored to exactly the same family, and sometimes to only the same version... e.g. you cannot restore a NetApp sourced NDMP backup to a VNX.

As long as the target is same or higher (i.e. as long as source is same or lower) then you should be ok.

spitman
Level 5

Yes, I know you can only do filesystem like-to-like... that's why I was saying if they don't have NDMP set up that I would have to set up a mount point here at our end to restore the data (i.e. it was backed up standard, would be restored standard...)

The target is 7.7.1, so I think on that front we're okay.

Thanks all for your help...