cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB backup test restore exercise

kkhoo
Level 5

hi gurus,

need your advise what is the approach when doing test restore on db backup..

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no documented 'correct approach'.

This is my approach:

The dba/server team will need to ensure that a suitable test machine exists with correct specs and OS, Oracle and NBU client software installed and oracle linking done. 
Ensure comms are working correctly between master, media and test machine. 
Run test Oracle backup to ensure everything is working correctly as far as Oracle and NBU config and comms are concerned.

Oracle redirected restore needs you to enable alternate client restore on the master with altnames files (see manual) and for the dba to initiate the restore using source client name.
See  NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide  for detailed instructions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Depends on the database and what you precisely want to test. Usually a restore to alternate location/name and maybe client is used so that the production db runs uninterrupted.

Grab the admin guide for the db in question and look at the restore section to see which possibilities fit your requirements.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

kkhoo
Level 5

Hi michael,

thanks for your reply.

actually, the test restore is to check the integrity of our db backup.

oracle database. and yes, our intent is to setup an alternate client.

but my question is what is the correct approach? thanks again

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no documented 'correct approach'.

This is my approach:

The dba/server team will need to ensure that a suitable test machine exists with correct specs and OS, Oracle and NBU client software installed and oracle linking done. 
Ensure comms are working correctly between master, media and test machine. 
Run test Oracle backup to ensure everything is working correctly as far as Oracle and NBU config and comms are concerned.

Oracle redirected restore needs you to enable alternate client restore on the master with altnames files (see manual) and for the dba to initiate the restore using source client name.
See  NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide  for detailed instructions.

kkhoo
Level 5

Thanks Marianne.

It is much clear to me now. =)